UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Roman Triumph

Viggen

I was convinced that I knew quite a bit about the subject when I opened Mary Beard's The Roman Triumph. I expected a lot of new interesting details, maybe even some major elements that normally were left out- this was, however, not the case. A week later when the book was finished and I had put it back into the bookshelf everything had changed. I knew nothing, or at least very little, about the Roman triumph. Even so, in some aspects, this is one of the best books on Roman history I

Nice review, I've been tempted to pick this book up before.

Is it exclusively centered on the triumph or does it also cover things like the adventus?

Yes, the triumph is the only subject that is being discussed

Well done, Klingan! Is this your first review? Looking forward to your further contributions! Cheers!

-- Nephele

Nice review Klingan, like a few others I've had this book on my "to read" list too and after your review I will probably still go ahead and get it, but from what you say it does appear that the title is slightly misleading doesn't it? If I buy a book about the Roman triumph then I want to learn some useful information about the triumph. But on your recommendation I'll give it a go.

Thanks you everyone!

Well done, Klingan! Is this your first review? Looking forward to your further contributions! Cheers!

-- Nephele

Yes, it is I'm afraid! I'm not quite sure how I have managed to sneak away for so long, but I'm looking forward to writing more.