UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Eagle of the Ninth

Viggen

Nice review! I enjoyed reading it. I read the book as a a child and it's laying around the house somewhere. Reading the review I feel compelled to dig it out again. Nice work!

DC - thank you very much. That's a terrific complement.

Can you tell me a little bit about this book's place in an English upbringing? I'd actually never heard about it until I saw it spoken of so highly in UNRV forums. Is it a commonly taught book at a High School level? How key is Roman Britain in what's taught in British history classes? I'm not sure there's any equivalent in the states basically because our history is so damn short compared to most of the rest of the world.

-Jason

Because of this review I ordered the book straight away from Amazon. I'll read it once I'm finished with my current read.

Medusa - you just made my day. Thank you.

Enjoy and let us know what you think...

J

Nice review! I enjoyed reading it. I read the book as a a child and it's laying around the house somewhere. Reading the review I feel compelled to dig it out again. Nice work!

DC - thank you very much. That's a terrific complement.

Can you tell me a little bit about this book's place in an English upbringing? I'd actually never heard about it until I saw it spoken of so highly in UNRV forums. Is it a commonly taught book at a High School level? How key is Roman Britain in what's taught in British history classes? I'm not sure there's any equivalent in the states basically because our history is so damn short compared to most of the rest of the world.

-Jason

Sadly the book isn't taught in schools in Britain, but Rosemary Sutcliffe's books are still popular 50 years after their publication. As a matter of fact I remember reading an article in the newspaper a few years back about encouraging children to read, and a few of Rosemary's Roman Britain books were mentioned as good starters for a certain age. As for Roman Britain, it is usually taught to primary school children. As a result it isn't really indepth, and it's sort of skirted over rather quickly along with the Vikings and Medieval castles. History isn't really taught in any detail till Secondary School, by which point you'll be filled to bursting with stuff on the Tudors and Nazis, over and over agin for years.

On another note, Unfortunately I can't seem to find my copy of the Eagle of the Ninth. I'll keep on looking.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, there's going to be an online book chat about Eagle of the Ninth on January 6. I've not participated in any of these, but will try to attend.

our next book discussion: 'the eagle of the ninth' by rosemary sutcliff

On January 6.

A beloved author to several of our reading group members, Rosemary Sutcliff is new to me.

There are several blogs about her:

* Rosemary Sutcliff