UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - The Complete First Season

Review by Ursus

This ain't your grandfather's Spartacus! What happens when HBO:Rome meets The 300? Some ass kicking action, that's what. Everyone remembers Kubrick's 1960 masterpiece starring Kirk Douglas as an impossibly idealistic proto-Communist leading a proletarian uprising against the establishment. And almost no one, fortunately, remembers a god awful made-for-TV-movie that aired on the USA network a few years back. Blood and Sand is neither of these things. It is adventurous and gritty, a tour de force of pretty people and special effects acted with raw talent and written with savvy...

...read the full review of Spartacus: Blood and Sand - The Complete First Season

Nice review. I'm looking forward to the DVD release next year as I missed it while it was on TV as I don't have cable or satellite. Shame about Andy Whitfield's illness too.

"But the real stars of the show are ultimately the scene stealing villians. John Hannah and Lucy Lawless are unforgettable as the scheming lanista and his equally opportunistic wife."

Absolutely! Excellent review, Ursus. And, as you already know, I agree 100% with your above statement!

-- Nephele

• Map of the Roman Empire