UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Planning of Roman Roads and Walls in Northern Britain

Viggen

The Planning of Roman Roads and Walls in Northern Britain by John Poulter

What you get inside this book is much more than what it says on the cover; it contains a detailed investigation into the probable directions of planning and building of Dere Street, the major Roman road on the Eastern side of the Roman frontier, plus Hadrian

Thanks to Melvadius for bringing this book to my attention - it looks right up my particular street. Shame it's not available for Kindle.

Nice photo of Turret 44B on the cover. How sad am I that I now recognise them all and can cite their number?

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Thanks to Melvadius for bringing this book to my attention - it looks right up my particular street. Shame it's not available for Kindle.

Nice photo of Turret 44B on the cover. How sad am I that I now recognise them all and can cite their number?

You are welcome. :)

As to towers - even the ones that we have no 'actual' evidence they ever existed? ;)

Seriously you may find Poulter's conclusions about the sequence of construction and intended purpose(s) suprising in a couple of places but bear with him.

As to towers - even the ones that we have no 'actual' evidence they ever existed? ;)

Seriously you may find Poulter's conclusions about the sequence of construction and intended purpose(s) suprising in a couple of places but bear with him.

Yeah, I'm very much looking forward to reading his views. I dug about in the archeological reports quite deeply when I researched my Wikipedia articles for the milecastles and turrets (I must finish that job - it's getting embarassing). You soon find that the nice, simple layout/story that's suitable for telling to the tourists is very unsatisfactory when it comes to matching with evidence on the ground (or under the ground), particulalry (but not exclusively) in the east.

Fascinating stuff!