UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Book Reviews By Forum Members

In order to encourage more community contributions to our quickly growing site, we've come up with an idea that will hopefully inspire some new articles. (I have stumbled across major writers block and can only seem to put together a little bit here and there, lately. Hopefully that changes as summer fades away cool.gif)

Regardless, we'd like to offer random recently published books (sometimes fiction, sometimes non) to community members, courtesy of unrv, to review and submit as new articles on the site. We'd like to do this monthly (perhaps more depending on the response), and give as many who are interested a chance at a book freebie. However, to be fair, we want to start by limiting it to those who have already submitted reviews or other articles.

If they decline of course, we'll open it up to anyone who is interested, and will also do so once they all get an opportunity (provided they want to do it). Obviously people have difficult schedules and this is not intended as a homework assignment, but as a way to say thank you for your support, while giving us a little bonus in return.

We'd appreciate any feedback on this idea from anyone, not just those folks mentioned... and we would like to get started right away.

For those of you who aren't mentioned by name... If you'd like to have an early shot at an occasional free book, just submit a review of a Roman related book you've read and we'll happily add you to those that are already in 'the club'

I'm interested. I think it's a great idea. Free books about Rome? Have I died and gone to heaven?

But my plate is full right now with some of my own projects, so I currently defer to anyone who wants to go first.

In order to encourage more community contributions to our quickly growing site, we've come up with an idea that will hopefully inspire some new articles.  (I have stumbled across major writers block and can only seem to put together a little bit here and there, lately.  Hopefully that changes as summer fades away :huh:)

What a great idea.

Thank you, but I've got at least three, one new and two I've reread, to write reviews for and submit; "Soldiers and Ghosts", "The Gallic Wars" and "The Jewish War". I'm procrastinating as usual, and would hate to accept a free book and then take weeks or months to write a review.

Sure that sounds great, I have been a little quiet lately but thats only because of the amount of Uni work that I have going right now. I'd definitley get round to doing it though.

Sounds like Hamilcar has the most free time at the moment... Pompeius we'll let you get into the swing of things with school and keep you on the list for a future book.

Hamilcar I sent you a private message.

By the way everyone... this is intended to be a fun bonus thing... so certainly don't do it if you don't want to :)

Chris,

I've already reviewed a book on another site ( a book about Quintus Caecilius Metellus Macedonicus's Greek campaign that ends in the Mummius massacre at Corinth).

Can I publish the review on this site ? I think I had sent you a private email earlier.

I'm already a contributing reviewer and would be glad to participate. I'm in the process of reading a book on the Xth Legion which I'll be reviewing on the other site and would be glad to publish my review here.

Let me know.

I like it - I'd certainly write a review on a freebie.

I actually should write something about the two I've just read, Rubicon by Tom Holland, and In the Name of Rome by Goldworthy, but my life has become very hectic in the last month or so - hence lack of posts.

I do see everything sent to my message though - thanks for the alert Viggen

Chris,

I've already reviewed a book on another site ( a book about Quintus Caecilius Metellus Macedonicus's Greek campaign that ends in the Mummius massacre at Corinth).

Can I publish the review on this site ? I think I had sent you a private email earlier.

I'm already a contributing reviewer and would be glad to participate. I'm in the process of reading a book on the Xth Legion which I'll be reviewing on the other site and would be glad to publish my review here.

Let me know.

Certainly you can publish it here, just send me the text via email or private message and we'll get it online ;)

Exellent! :P

Glad we found an online bookstore in NZ! :)

I hope we will hear soon a review from you (and you will enjoy the book of course)

regards

viggen

While Hamilcar Barca is busy reading Ghost of Vesusvius (and hopefully soon makes a review), we are announcing the next UNRV Book of the Month give away...

The Fall Of Rome: And The End Of Civilization by Dr Bryan Ward-Perkins.

Qualifying members (how to qualify read the first post of this thread) are presently Ursus, Pompeius Magnus, Germanicus, Virgil61, Hamilcar Barca, Scanderbeg and Skarr...

Please let us know who is interested and has time to read and review this exiting new book...

regards

viggen