UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miguel

Etruscan Culture

I am deciding whether to study the Etruscans or not, and I want to ask is this part of history important, or would it help in studying Roman history? I went to a Etruscan excavation exhibition, but am not quite interested in it. Should I just simple skip it, or study it?

I am deciding whether to study the Etruscans or not, and I want to ask is this part of history important, or would it help in studying Roman history? I went to a Etruscan excavation exhibition, but am not quite interested in it. Should I just simple skip it, or study it?

I think its definitely worth a look

The Etruscans played a major part in the beginnings of Rome, most of the early kings were of Etruscan descent, without these guys Rome may not have become the super power that it eventually did

There were some pretty interesting characters around at the time like king Tarquinius Superbus who was the last king of Rome www.unrv.com/bio/lucius-tarquinius-superbus.php

Etruscans are very important. We have to study their culture here, that you want it or not ;-)

And of course it will help for Roman history, as Gaius P. said ^ ^

The Etruscans certainly had their effect on Roman society, and the extent or importance of which is open to debate I suppose. They are worth looking at, but if you really want to sink your teeth into a topic of depth we have so much more for the Romans.

The Etruscans probably had religious influences as seen in the nature of the augurs. Politically the early forms of the republic had many aspects of an Etruscan nature, and art and architecture were also affected.

You could say that the Etruscans probably introduced the Greek hoplite method of warfare, which was the stepping stone to future Roman military expansion. Perhaps you could say that the 'tyranny' of the Etruscans caused the republic to form in the first place, and from there the dominos kept falling...

Hard to say without more information on the nature of its finding, but my guess would be what you see there was on the forehead, bound to the head with some sort of cord or chain or whatever else, not included. Maybe the cord was made of organic material.

In addition to the insignia of the fasces and the augury, the Etruscans also seem to have introduced the rituals involved in a treaty, a declaration of war, and the surrender of a foreign people (Livy 1.24, 32, and 48); land-division, priesthoods, appeal to the people from a judicial verdict (Livy 1.26.5-14); and the census and comitia centuriata (Livy, 1. 42.5-44.1).

As far as the Hoplite fighting style, there is evidence of hoplite armour being depicted on fragments of terracotta friezes from Etruria and Latium, but there is no evidence of the formation fighting that is depicted on the protocorinthian "Chigi" jug imported to Etruria from Greece. It may be that the hoplite armored troops were simply members of an elite band of fighters (the suodales) who had the wealth to use Greek armor.

I recently just ordered the book, Early Rome and the Etruscans by R.M. Ogilvie, I like Ogilvie since he has done so many studies on Livy.

It would be a crime not to learn about a civilization which has contributed so much to Roman culture. Its hard to find something which we so relate to the Romans that did not have some kind of Etruscan influence.

Edited by Divi Filius

To answer the original question broadly, the cultures of the Mediterannean didn't exist in a vacuum. In studying Roman history, I have found it extremely useful to know something about the cross cultural contacts that occured. Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Punics, Etruscans - perhaps even Near Easterners on one end and the Celts on the other. I'm not saying one has to be an expert in all those cultures - I am certainly not. But knowing something about how they all interacted within a greater context gives you a big picture.

If you have the oppertunity, go for it! To understand Rome you should understand what influence her beginnings. It's hard to understand U.S. history if you don't know anything about the English colonies or the immense Spanish and French presence there.

To answer the original question broadly, the cultures of the Mediterannean didn't exist in a vacuum. In studying Roman history, I have found it extremely useful to know something about the cross cultural contacts that occured. Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Punics, Etruscans - perhaps even Near Easterners on one end and the Celts on the other. I'm not saying one has to be an expert in all those cultures - I am certainly not. But knowing something about how they all interacted within a greater context gives you a big picture.

It sounds reasonable. At first I thought understanding other cultures is only for studying the barbarian attacks (and obviously I am wrong...)

The Etruscans were the Roman's forerunner, or completely two different races? Were the Etruscans related to Ancient Greece?

Etruscans and Latins (Romans) were two different peoples. It is a current great mystery where exactly the Etruscans are from. The most convincing argument I have heard is that they migrated from the Lycia area in Asia Minor, but to this day archaeologists and historians are stumped. Even their language is unique and does not provide many clues.

thier language is very interesting. It disappeared, but some words survived in Latin and Italian...

Oh yes. I remember from the exhibition, the origin of their language is Greek, and its words are formed from alphabets.

Oh yes. I remember from the exhibition, the origin of their language is Greek, and its words are formed from alphabets.

Etruscan derived from Greek???? I think not! Etruscan, as it was noted earlier, is not an Indo-European language; that much is known for sure. As of now, it's a linguistic isolet, meaning that it is not related to any other known language.