UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lucius Cato

Imperium

Salve All,

New Citizen here. I was wondering if anyone had read the new book on Cicero.. Imperium? I picked it up the other day and am approx. on page 90 so far. Just wondering if anyone else has read it or what they think about it.

Well, my esteemed brother, so far it appears to be about Cicero's rise to Consul. As I said, I am still in the beginning, however, so far it has dealt with his training (briefly) and his crusdae against Verres. I have just gotten to the part where he is beginning his trail against Verres for corruption and theft.

Yes, that would be the one I am referring to.

Good Review PP! :no:

I was given a copy of Pompeii recetly but I haven't got round to reading it. I will probably get hold of Imperium when it comes out in paperback. Harris calls Pompeii his 'Hobbit' to Imperium's 'Lord of the Rings'.

It sounds interesting.

I usually don't go for fiction, but PP's review carries weight with me.

How is the writing style? How does it compare to, say, McCullough?

I usually don't go for fiction, but PP's review carries weight with me.

How is the writing style? How does it compare to, say, McCullough?

Harris is far less dry than McCullough. I know I may be overusing this description but I really feel that he does a much better job of humanizing his characters. He also freely passes over the minutiae and is more inclined to focus on the meat of the story.

I am almost done with Imperium and have only recently found and bought McCullogh, but Harris is very entertaining. He swept me up right away and has kept my interest peaked throughout. Whereas I know most of the story already, it still feels fresh and like I am living it minute by minute with him. I would recommend Harris.

There is a short inteview from Harris on Channel 4 about his latest work Imperium with the conclusion he is hooked on Rome and we can expect more.

Video

There is a short inteview from Harris on Channel 4 about his latest work Imperium with the conclusion he is hooked on Rome and we can expect more.

That's good news. I'd hate to think that Colleen McCullough will have the last fictional word on this period.

That's good news. I'd hate to think that Colleen McCullough will have the last fictional word on this period.

Obviously novels are all about personal taste, but I have a feeling that Harris' version may soon surpass "THe Masters of Rome Series". It definately gives an alternative perspective.

Harris is the anti-McCollough? Well, why didn't you say that in your review? Now I'm going to order Imperium right away!

BTW, I loved Pompeii.

Harris is the anti-McCollough? Well, why didn't you say that in your review? Now I'm going to order Imperium right away!

BTW, I loved Pompeii.

Well its written from the perspective of Cicero. As all Romans did, he had his own agenda which in his case was sometimes pro aristocracy and others pro populace. Harris, akin to Cicero in real life, seems to be more interested in telling the entire story from this more balanced perspective.

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire