UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar, Life Of A Colossus

Favonius Cornelius

Caius Julius Caesar. Probably every educated person in the world is familiar with the name, for the man's life played a large role in shaping the western world as we know it. Few people in history can claim such an importance. Dissecting the aspects and times of this man has been an academic pursuit since right after his death to the modern day, so it takes a sharp mind and an expansive grasp of the history of the Romans to say something new, or put the story in a different perspective. I've read many of them, so it is with no small pleasure that I can confirm Adrian Goldsworthy's new book Caesar, Life of a Colossus succeeds in providing exactly that. Not a new age reinterpretation, ideological sermon, nor conservative rehash; Goldsworthy's book is a firm accounting and fair assessment, based on fact and sensibility of interpretation of the ancient histories....

read the full review of Caesar: Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy

• Like 1

Excellent review Favonius! A brilliant balance between praise and critcism, It's admirable that you give your own view on Goldsworthy's theories. I have already placed the book on my wish list in Amazon. I am a fan of Adrian Goldsworthy's other work 'In the Name of Rome'.

I shall be looking forward to reading the book.

An interesting viewpoint on Goldsworthy's book, FC.

You raised an hypothesis about Caesar's supply problems that puzzles me, however. On the one hand, Grant famously observed that "an army marches on its belly", yet you suggest that starving the troops somehow drove them forward. Is that your conjecture or Goldsworthy's? I can't find him making such a claim.

An excellent review FC and a very well timed one too as i've just returned home from work with my new copy of Goldsworthy's Caesar, i've been planning to buy it for some time but was unsure wether to because i've already read Christian Meir's Caesar and didnt want to waste good money on something that was going to just repeat what i've already read but i thought what the hell i'll give it a go and after reading your review it seems i've certainly made the right choice, now i cant wait to start it :)

You raised an hypothesis about Caesar's supply problems that puzzles me, however. On the one hand, Grant famously observed that "an army marches on its belly", yet you suggest that starving the troops somehow drove them forward. Is that your conjecture or Goldsworthy's? I can't find him making such a claim.

Caesar won, get over it...Nice review Fav.

Thanks Cato. It is my conjecture, and I add it in just to give an alternative since Goldsworthy gives no in depth acessment from what I remember of Caesar's most criticized military weakness.

It is an interesting idea isn't it? I think I'll start a thread on it.

Excellent review. I have just begin the work myself. Thus far I have no special praise or criticism. I do, however, think it is a lucid and interesting enough summary of events to recommend to someone with no prior background on the subject. As Cato said in another thread it is quite long and detailed ....

I'm about 100pages into this book and its highly readable, informative and enjoyable. FC hit the nail on the head with his review.

I have put the more academic T.J.Cornell 'Early History...' and Gary Forsythe 'Critical Early History...' to one side whilst I return to the 'lighter' titles such as this.

Tom Holland's RUBICON was of the same stock and I intend to read his book 'AUGUSTUS' as well as giving the much mentioned Michael Grant a chance to please.

According to Amazon the hardback was released on 31st May 2004 (They sell it for

My mistake. It is RICHARD Holland who wrote Augustus:Godfather of Europe. I'v just read Rubicon by Tom Holland and it lead me to this assumption.

Does anyone know if they are related?