UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Greek influence on Roman culture

Enigma

Greetings,

I have a few questions for the forum. Please keep in mind that although I find Roman history fascinating, I know very little about it.

I noticed that the Greek culture seems to have had a significant influence on Roman culture. Is there a particular reason why? For instance, is it based solely on their proximity?

I was also curious if there was a particular aspect of Roman culture that the Greeks had the most influence on?

I find Roman art and architecture is stunning. Have the Greeks played much of a role in shaping Roman art and architecture?

Thanks all, I look forward to our conversations.

I noticed that the Greek culture seems to have had a significant influence on Roman culture. Is there a particular reason why? For instance, is it based solely on their proximity?

Both the Etruscans and especially the Samnites, were close to Greece in terms of culture and civilization. You will see through history that in the beginning, cities such as Capua had a lot of Greek influence in it. Also Greece did give the Etruscans a lot of tradition.

I was also curious if there was a particular aspect of Roman culture that the Greeks had the most influence on?

Mainly the language, Gods, and some governing methods.

I find Roman art and architecture is stunning. Have the Greeks played much of a role in shaping Roman art and architecture?

Roman vases and sculptures in the early era look very similar to Greek art, but as Rome grew and became more civilized it expanded to more reaches.

Mainly the language, Gods, and some governing methods.

Well, with regard to language, be careful here. Yes there were Greek words which entered the Latin language, but I don't know of any examples where the Greek grammar entered into the Latin grammar. They are related Indo-European languages, to be sure, but I don't believe that the grammar of one influenced the other.

Would it be fair to say that the Romans borrowed the idea to use columns in their architecture from the Greeks?

Definantly...

Not really definitely. 'More than likely' is a better way of putting it. There is an equal chance of the Phoenicians influencing the Etruscans & Latins in the use of columns in Rome's archaic age.

Greetings,

I would say that columns were primarily aesthetic in roman architecture

The real Roman contribution was the arch!

And while it is very easy to see the greek influence in their art, The Romans made their marks too.

Didn't the Romans come up with the bust as a sculpture form?

But.... is it right for us to think Egyptian~~~>Minoan?

The Minoans had to trade with the near east and Egypt. Who else was there? We know that they were primarily a mercantile society and the first one in Europe. Logic would then dictate that they had some contact.

But I always thought that the classic columnade developed after the Greek Dark ages. This was when the Phoenicians filled the trade vacuum left by the collapse of the Myceneans and re-introduced writing.

Mycenae the direct cultural inheritors of the minoans do not show the "Greek architecture" that we know and love.