UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

Famine and Food Supply in the Graeco-Roman World

Another review has been completed for our Roman Books section, thanks to Pertinax.

This is not one of those attention grabbing titles that will appeal to the sword and combat enthusiast, nor to the afficionado of heavyweight power politics and great personages. It is however a piece of subtle, steady and scholarly discourse that gives weight and texture to any Romanophiles imagining of the Roman (and Grecian) world. I personally found that the work helped me form a more grounded mental picture of the Attic and Italian countryside, its pattern of landholdings and the nature and dynamic of its inhabitants...

...read the full review of Famine and Food Supply in the Graeco-Roman World by P. Garsney

Excellent. I have a feeling that this review will become the subject of some new threads.

Yes, it sounds great. Good info could really change the way many things are viewed from athenian imperialism to the breakdown of the West in the V century.

Well, Pertinax - you were right - the title did not immediately grab me, so I have only just read this review - but it sounds like a fascinating read, on a much neglected area of study.

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire