UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Book Review - Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day

Viggen

Another review has been submitted by community member "Ursus"...

Many Romanophile books are quite informative, and some are even enjoyable enough to read. Rarely are they simply as fun as hell.

So... you live somewhere in the backwater provinces of the Roman Empire, and you must visit the Eternal City for the first time for business or pleasure (or both, if you're savvy enough)? The imperial capitol holds many promises of profit and adventure, but one misstep could mean a social faux pas, a breach of the Praetor's law, or perhaps even a quick journey to the underworld courtesy of a brigand. If only there were a handy traveler's guide to counsel the would-be visitor to the Eternal City. Wait no more, my friend, for one has been provided for you...

Read the full review of Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day by Phillip Matyszak.

Another review has been submitted by community member "Ursus"...

Many Romanophile books are quite informative, and some are even enjoyable enough to read. Rarely are they simply as fun as hell.

So... you live somewhere in the backwater provinces of the Roman Empire, and you must visit the Eternal City for the first time for business or pleasure (or both, if you're savvy enough)? The imperial capitol holds many promises of profit and adventure, but one misstep could mean a social faux pas, a breach of the Praetor's law, or perhaps even a quick journey to the underworld courtesy of a brigand. If only there were a handy traveler's guide to counsel the would-be visitor to the Eternal City. Wait no more, my friend, for one has been provided for you...

Read the full review of Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day by Phillip Matyszak.

Great Review Ursus! I brought this book recently and it really is highly recommended. I enjoyed Matyszak's book on the Roman Republic, and this was even greater. The Res Romae sections were full of interesting facts.

I too enjoyed this review, Ursus - and I will certainly be buying this one. My only regret is that it's not set in the Augustan era, but that is only a very small, self-indulgent nitpick! :clapping: It sounds the sort of book that would be absolutely invaluable for background information.

I've been reading the book at work (it's OK, I work for the Government). It's a more-colorful companion to John Cullen's A Walk in Ancient Rome, and the two should probably be read together. I read Walk just before watching season 1 of HBO's Rome, and felt right at home during the outdoor street scenes. Five Denarii fills in the blank spaces of the picture.

Edited by Marcus Caelius