UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

The Golden Ass by Apuleius

Ursus has done it again. This time he presents a very inviting look into one of the lesser known Latin epics...

To paraphrase Egyptologist Geraldine Pinch: all myths are sacred, but not all myths are solemn. Some myths are even laced with ribald perversions. The Golden Ass has not the timeless majesty of Homer, the dignified moralizing of Hesiod, or the conscious patriotism of Virgil. Its characters usually range from somewhere between agents of petty self-interest to despicable dregs of society. It is told not as an epic clash of heroes against monsters and gods, but as the absurd adventures of a hapless fool. The setting is not some archaic realm lost to history, but the Roman province of Greece...

Read the full review of The Golden Ass by Apuleius

Ursus has done it again. This time he presents a very inviting look into one of the lesser known Latin epics...

To paraphrase Egyptologist Geraldine Pinch: all myths are sacred, but not all myths are solemn. Some myths are even laced with ribald perversions. The Golden Ass has not the timeless majesty of Homer, the dignified moralizing of Hesiod, or the conscious patriotism of Virgil. Its characters usually range from somewhere between agents of petty self-interest to despicable dregs of society. It is told not as an epic clash of heroes against monsters and gods, but as the absurd adventures of a hapless fool. The setting is not some archaic realm lost to history, but the Roman province of Greece...

Salve, Amici.

I can easily understand why the Christian church fathers hated this guy; a humble pagan with an optimistic standpoint despite the penuries of the material world. This Isis true-believer must have been seen as an unfair competitor by Augustine and his fellows, more than any official Imperial cult.

The Isis mystery cult clearly had a huge influx on the first Christians, especially concerning their early conceptions of and devotion to the blessed Virgin Mary (Theotokos).

I think most of the experiences that he described while being an ass could be seen as a literary metaphor of ancient Rome's slavery; the man treated (and abused) by other men as an object, like a beast of burden.

I really love this book.

The Isis mystery cult clearly had a huge influx on the first Christians, especially concerning their early conceptions of and devotion to the blessed Virgin Mary (Theotokos).

For example, check out how Lucius by prayer returned to his humane shape (Liber XI, Cp. XLVII, Sec. I-II):

"Circa primam ferme noctis vigiliam experrectus pavore subito, video praemicantis lunae candore nimio completum orbem commodum marinis emergentem fluctibus; nanctusque opacae noctis silentiosa secreta, certus etiam summatem deam praecipua maiestate pollere resque prorsus humanas ipsius regi providentia, nec tantum pecuina et ferina, verum inanima etiam divino eius luminis numinisque nutu vegetari, ipsa etiam corpora terra caelo marique nunc incrementis consequenter augeri, nunc detrimentis obsequenter imminui, fato scilicet iam meis tot tantisque cladibus satiato et spem salutis, licet tardam, subministrante, augustum specimen deae praesentis statui deprecari; confestimque discussa pigra quiete <laetus et> alacer exsurgo meque protinus purificandi studio marino lavacro trado septiesque summerso fluctibus capite, quod eum numerum praecipue religionibus aptissimum divinus ille Pythagoras prodidit, [laetus et alacer] deam praepotentem lacrimoso vultu sic adprecabar: "Regina caeli,

I wish to commend this review to any curious forum member or casual visitor to the site. I have already expressed my opinion on the quality of this article privately, but I feel obligated to praise it publicly. Ursus' work was one of the things that originally drew me to participate in the Forum , and the standard of his writing has progressed consistently. This review was a joy to read.

I've just finished reading this book which I bought mainly due to the quality of this review. It's a very old copy, first published in 1951 with translation by Robert Graves.

I just thought you'd be interested in the description Graves gives in his introduction about the changing title of the book.......

......"The original title of this book, The Transformations of Lucius Apuleius of Madaura, was early shortened to The Golden Ass because Apuleius had written it in the style of the professional story tellers who, as Pliny mentions in one of his letters, used to preface their street corner entertainments with : 'Give me a copper and I'll tell you a golden story.' So 'golden' conveys an indulgent smile rather than genuine appreciation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire