UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Life after People

Viggen

The History Channel will broadcast a 2 hour special on the 21st of January called "Life without People"

What would happen to planet earth if the human race were to suddenly disappear forever?

Would ecosystems thrive? What remnants of our industrialized world would survive? What would crumble fastest?

I made a litte page from the info i got from the History Channel Life without People

So, what do you think, what would it be, life without us?

cheers

viggen

According to "I Am Legend" ... the deer population in New York City will do fairly well. :P

Sounds like an interesting show, Viggen. I'll have to check it out.

If I'm not mistaken, this is based on a book that came out a year or two ago; the author is a radical environmentalist who thinks humans should be wiped off the face of the planet for the express purpose of returning nature back to 'normal,' whatever that means. Again, I could be wrong, though. When I have a free moment, I'll look up the author's name and book and verify the validity--or lack thereof--of my claims.

If I'm not mistaken, this is based on a book that came out a year or two ago; the author is a radical environmentalist who thinks humans should be wiped off the face of the planet for the express purpose of returning nature back to 'normal,' whatever that means. Again, I could be wrong, though. When I have a free moment, I'll look up the author's name and book and verify the validity--or lack thereof--of my claims.

Reminds me of the plot to the Tom Clancy novel "Rainbow Six" about a group of environmentalist whackos who try to bring about that very scenario

Reminds me of the plot to the Tom Clancy novel "Rainbow Six" about a group of environmentalist whackos who try to bring about that very scenario

Yeah, these radical environmentalists can be scary. I've long contended that there's a race between environmentalists and fundamentalist theists over which group is going to wipe mankind from the face of the Earth.

Apparently this show was supposed to air a few times before but keeps getting bumped ...

Deer would only do well in New York City if the underbrush and plant life, their food supply, as it were, suddenly increased. I'm in Central Texas, and a particular lakeside community here is peopled with those who thought the deer were beautiful, and began to feed them in their front yards. The deer figured out right away that rosebushes were a tasty snack, and they multiplied to such an extent that nobody could keep their bushes and trees any more. After the predictable outcry from the PETA people (who all live in other neighborhoods elsewhere, of course), hunters and catchers were brought in, and the herd was lessened. The live catches were released into the forests. They were probably the first ones taken in the next deer season, since they'd lost their fear of humans. The deer that were shot were butchered and the meat given to charity groups.

If you feed a stray, it just might stick around. That may or may not be a good thing after all, you know? And in the rutting season, bucks are downright dangerous. Those antlers are not just for show. :rolleyes:

There is a book on the near best seller list in the US "World Without Us" by Alan Weisman. From the Amazon.com site:

"Teasing out the consequences of a simple thought experiment—what would happen if the human species were suddenly extinguished—Weisman has written a sort of pop-science ghost story, in which the whole earth is the haunted house. Among the highlights: with pumps not working, the New York City subways would fill with water within days, while weeds and then trees would retake the buckled streets and wild predators would ravage the domesticated dogs. Texas’s unattended petrochemical complexes might ignite, scattering hydrogen cyanide to the winds—a "mini chemical nuclear winter." After thousands of years, the Chunnel, rubber tires, and more than a billion tons of plastic might remain, but eventually a polymer-eating microbe could evolve, and, with the spectacular return of fish and bird populations, the earth might revert to Eden."

If you're interested in what happens to built structures that are suddenly abandoned, you may find the book (with no religious or environmentallist ax to grind) an interesting read.

Edited by Ludovicus

Apparently this scenario could happen any day now according to the end-timers. For those unaware, these are christians who believe the day of judgement is imminent and that those who worship Jesus will instantly vanish in the Great Something Or Other. The rest of course go through hell and high water for our sins - doesn't this sound like a familiar message?

Religious arguements aside, the abandonment of Chernobyl is interesting. The area was quickly reclaimed by nature and it seems the latent radioactivity isn't harming the local wildlife at all.

Religious arguements aside, the abandonment of Chernobyl is interesting. The area was quickly reclaimed by nature and it seems the latent radioactivity isn't harming the local wildlife at all.

In fact, I believe that the Red Deer that inhabits and thrives in the area around Chernobyl cannot be found anywhere else in Russia.

Yeah, these radical environmentalists can be scary. I've long contended that there's a race between environmentalists and fundamentalist theists over which group is going to wipe mankind from the face of the Earth.

I am myself an environmentalist. I am often exasperated by the antics of radical environmentalists, whose outspoken and ludicrous views have far more effect than their tiny numbers should allow. It is also alarming that this miniscule minority's flawed views are used by right - wing polititians with short term financial interests to denegrate the environmental movement as a whole.

The antics of religious zealots and oddball extreme environmentalists are far less of a threat to us than the ordinary inhabitant of the Western world. Our increasing insistance on more and more consumer goods and easy lifestyles, largely provided by Chinese coal - burning and use of fossil fuels, will probably be the ultimate killer.

Edited by Northern Neil

• 1 year later...

Just a reminder, the new series premieres Tuesday, April 21 at 10pm ET on HISTORY with the episode "The Bodies Left Behind", if you like to get some more info on the show and also stand a chance to win a History Channel Goodie Bag ---> CLICK HERE

...just a reminder that the show is today, (btw. thanks to History Channel i was able to see the first episode already[guess the first one in Austria]) pretty good, especially the parts of that island that has been abandond by humans 30 years ago and how that looks today, but see for yourself and watch the show, i enjoyed it....