UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gentleexit

The "Black Dwarf"?

Look up Athanasius on the web and you are told that his enemies called him 'the black dwarf'. The "black" part has some calling for the great church infighter to be mentioned during "black history month". But no one sources the insult and I've looked for it in the histories of the time but with no luck. Anyone know who said the little (Julian said he was a manikin) man was called the "black dwarf" by his enemies?

Salve, G and welcome to UNRV

Look up Athanasius on the web and you are told that his enemies called him 'the black dwarf'. The "black" part has some calling for the great church infighter to be mentioned during "black history month". But no one sources the insult and I've looked for it in the histories of the time but with no luck. Anyone know who said the little (Julian said he was a manikin) man was called the "black dwarf" by his enemies?

I must agree with your fellows at forum.org.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

thanks for checking. These (and other) (seemingly) unattributed "facts" fascinate me. It's usually easy to remember things. Perhaps this has an ancient source but I'd love it if it started with a later, creative historian.

thanks for checking. These (and other) (seemingly) unattributed "facts" fascinate me. It's usually easy to remember things. Perhaps this has an ancient source but I'd love it if it started with a later, creative historian.

You wont make a good hagiographer; too much checking sources zeal!

You wont make a good hagiographer; too much checking sources zeal!

Maybe an apologist. The other source I'm trying to track down is who said Constantine wore colorful wigs in his later years. Gibbon said that "he is represented with false hair of various colors, laboriously arranged by the skilful artists of the times". And in a footnote, he quotes three sources: Julian in the Caesars (whose satire just says that his uncle "led the life of a pastrycook and a hairdresser? Your locks and your fair favour betokened this"), Eusebius (who acknowledges the dressing up but doesn't touch the hair) and "a learned Spanheim, with the authority of medals" (presumably Gibbon's contemporary who knows coins and could see in them not only fake hair but its color). Perhaps, Gibbon's flight of fancy made this "fact" or ...