UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Mithridates the Great by Philip Matyszak

Ursus

"Chronicling the life of Mithridates has been a fascinating experience, and I strongly suspect that, even after two millenia, the defiant Pontic battle king will still attract new followers," opines doctor Philip "Maty" Matyszak. If this prediction is borne out, it will be due to nothing less than the author's meticulous scholarship and enchanting prose, both of which vividly animate an unforgettable yet heretofore largely unknown persona in Roman history. With the grand politics of the late Republic, enthralling military clashes, and larger than life personalities sketched by an eloquent pen, this could very well be the book of the year for Romanophiles..."

Read the full review here ....

Read the related interview here ....

Excellent review and interview, has convinced me to get the book as soon as I get the two last volumes of J.J. Norwich's Byzantium trilogy and the 2 novels I've ordered from Waterstone ! The period was so important, especially for history of institutions ( on the definition of the imperium with the clash between Lucullus and Pompey ) but the eastern front is too often dismissed for the civil war or the war against the pirates.

@Caesar CXXXVII : indeed the testimonies are quite clear on the subject and I doubt the romans would have lied about it, too big to tell such a thing. But were they 80 000 dead romans, a massacre of the scale of the Cannae battle ? Maybe, i would'nt dismiss it out of hand even if the numbers look a bit high for me especially as the census during this period was a bit hard to establish due to the civil war taking place... I haven't re-read the sources in a while, but that number might well have been a mithridatif number taken by the romans at face value for counter propaganda.

Well done! Fascinating book (from the review, I've yet to get a copy of the book), and insightful interview.

-- Nephele

Great Review Ursus! I wanted to buy this book when it was first mentioned on the site, but it slipped me by. After having read the review it sounds like a great biography, something that would equal or excell the work of Adrian Murdoch's books on Julian and Romulus Augustulus. I've enjoyed Maty's other books, so I'll rectify my forgetfullness and buy a copy now.

Excellent review and interview, has convinced me to get the book as soon as I get the two last volumes of J.J. Norwich's Byzantium trilogy and the 2 novels I've ordered from Waterstone ! The period was so important, especially for history of institutions ( on the definition of the imperium with the clash between Lucullus and Pompey ) but the eastern front is too often dismissed for the civil war or the war against the pirates.

@Caesar CXXXVII : indeed the testimonies are quite clear on the subject and I doubt the romans would have lied about it, too big to tell such a thing. But were they 80 000 dead romans, a massacre of the scale of the Cannae battle ? Maybe, i would'nt dismiss it out of hand even if the numbers look a bit high for me especially as the census during this period was a bit hard to establish due to the civil war taking place... I haven't re-read the sources in a while, but that number might well have been a mithridatif number taken by the romans at face value for counter propaganda.

Yes, indeed . I am going to look at some books to find some modern material about the subject (it will be better if Maty or Ursus will post about it) . 80,000 in one day ! Even the damn ****ing Nazis didn't had such killing rate .