UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
longshotgene

Ancient Warfare Magazine

Has anyone read this magazine? I live in the U.S. and was thinking about getting a subscription. Are the stories in-depth, brining new information, or does it hit on the already known?

Has anyone read this magazine? I live in the U.S. and was thinking about getting a subscription. Are the stories in-depth, brining new information, or does it hit on the already known?

It's worth getting for sure, not as in depth as you may hope for, but you may read a few things that surprise you or cause you to question a previous assumption. Nicely written and presented and also comes with quality illustrations.

I buy it on an issue to issue basis, depending on the content, rather than subscribe outright.

...we are busy checking the ancient warfare magazine, the review should be online about end of next week...

...cheers

viggen

Since I'm an active member on the RAT (Roman Army Talk) Forum I got to know about Ancient Warfare from the beginning and even contributed an article for the current issue Vol. III No. 2 about amphitheaters in a military context. Most articles deal with the analysis of ancient battles, not only Roman but also Greek and sometimes even of other peoples. I miss articles about the life of a soldier besides the actual warfare. Especially the life of a Roman legionary was much much more than the actual warfare. But for those interested in ancient battles it is definitely a very good magazine.

Here is the promised review....

Ancient Warfare (Vol.III Issue 2) dropped through my letterbox, and I immediately did what I do with all magazines at first

Here is the promised review....

Ancient Warfare (Vol.III Issue 2) dropped through my letterbox, and I immediately did what I do with all magazines at first

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

As I told Neil privately (and I'll post it here as well), ancient warfare isn't usually an interest of mine -- but Neil's review makes me want to pick up this magazine! Well done, Neil!

And, well done, Medusa, on your article for the magazine!

-- Nephele

Excellent review on the site. I'm happy to hear it's not just random people writing for the magazine. I'm sure it's not as in-depth as some books but for someone like me interested in the ancient world but hasn't read a lot of books on the subject yet with mostly reading from Wikipedia and other places on the internet so far I'm sure it'll be great. I'll get one of the singles first to try it out.

Heh! I like the cover of this month's magazine. Johnny Shumante was the illustrator of my Macedonian wars book, and my publishers purchased that pic as well. He also did some custom pics for the book, and I've got them printed and framed. We had a long discussion about Carthaginian/Numidian elephants (which the one on the Ancient Warfare cover is) and whether they had towers. He's not only a good artist, but he knows his Livy and archaeology as well!

Nice review Neil. B)

I'm still waiting for my first copy to drop through my letterbox, after reading the review I wish it would bloody hurry up!!!

Finally it's turned up!!!

Vol III issue 3, I must say I'm very impressed with the magazine, very colourful, well written. This months featured articles are...... Classical heroes: the warrior in history and legend, The seven against Thebes, divine battle frenzy, the reality of Hyginus' Roman army and Machines of war.

I think I'll probably be taking out the full subscription.

Ancient Warfare Magazine is giving away two copies of their upcoming Ancient Warfare Special 2: 'The Roman Imperial Centuria' to two of our newsletter subscribers. (so hurry up sign up for the newsletter if you haven`t yet)

This special issue is dedicated to 'the core of the legion': careers, administration and tactics of the early Imperial Roman centuria. With contributions by, among others, Ross Cowan, Duncan Campbell, Philip Matyszak and Graham Sumner.

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire