UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Antony and Cleopatra by Adrian Goldsworthy

Viggen

Antony and Cleopatra by Adrian Goldsworthy

The author remarked about this book 'everyone knows of Antony and Cleopatra, but they see the story as they think it should have been'. We know that story. It's the one from the theatre of Shakespeare, or Elizabeth Taylor's career-defining role in film. It's where the dashing and impetuous Antony is seduced by the decadent beauty of Cleopatra and ends up throwing the world away for love. 'The triple pillar of the world transform'd into a strumpet's fool' as Shakespeare himself puts it (with more than a little help from Plutarch). In the end the star-crossed lovers die tragically but heroically, leaving their cold, scheming nemesis with his victory...

...read the full review of Antony and Cleopatra by Adrian Goldsworthy

Excellent review. Thank you, Maty.

Pat Southern was a lot more sympathetic in her treatmeant of the two lovers. I think I am more inclined to side with Goldworthy with Antony as a "drunken boor" and Cleopatra as a "homocidal geek." Yep, that sounds about right. I'll definitely be on the look out for this book when it comes to paperbook!

And hurray for an Augustus bio! But please, no stories of Livia and poisoned figs. :ph34r:

Edited by Ursus

Very nice review maty, thanks

I'll look forward to reading about the factual lives of Antony and Cleopatra as opposed to the the more heavily romanticized story we are more used to hearing.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus