UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Last Pagans of Rome by Alan Cameron

Viggen

Paganism came to an end in Rome during the early fifth century AD. The question is whether Rome's last pagans went out with a bang or a whimper. This book, by one of the foremost scholars of late antiquity, is a closely argued thesis in favour of the 'out with a whimper' school of thought. As a thesis, this book takes little time to accommodate the newcomer to late antiquity. It is assumed that, even if not fully up to speed with the latest research on the late fourth and early fifth century, the reader is reasonably clear about the major events and personalities of the period. Those who are uncertain about the participants or chronology of battles such as Adrianople or the Frigidus are advised to revise this and much else before approaching this book...

...read the full review of The last Pagans of Rome by Alan Cameron

Thanks for your review, Maty. I had been wondering about the book.

While there were fanatics - mainly on the Christian side - for most aristocratic Romans religious belief was simply not the deciding factor in the issues of the day

I have no problem believing this. The cynic in me suggests that, across time and space, most political elites seem to care more about employment than belief.