UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Clash of the Titans - DVD

Viggen

Am I justified in feeling that everyone connected with the making of this film should be summarily executed for crimes against humanity? The "Clash of the Titans" remake is Hollywood at its worst. It derives from a cinematic dark age where producers and writers are simply bereft of an original thought and must cannibalize their own work through remakes and reboots. If this weren't enough, the spirit of Greek mythology so essential to the charm of the original is here subverted to unholy ends, and what is left is an empty shell of a movie existing for the sake of special effects....

...read the full review of Clash of the Titans

Spoiler warning!

Great review Ursus.

I must admit, however, that I quite enjoyed the end of this movie - I expected a 20 min long fight that I really didn't want to see. The part where the hero just went in and killed [the] Kraken was refreshing.

Oh, by the way, to be a little bit of a language nerd. That people say The Kraken is killing me - the shouldn't really be there, Kraken is already a definite article in Nordic languages (Krake, Kraken comp. to Car, the Car)

I liked the review, Ursus, but I'm not that venomous towards this movie.

I kind of liked the idea that the gods gained their power from worship - I guess that ties into the end of the 81 movie when Zeus says "in time the gods will fade..." or something like that. You know, Christianity comes along and succeeds the Hellenic gods... I just thought that was a clever thread.

I just thought the whole thing was a bit "meh" if I'm honest. I watched it again on DVD having sat through the woeful CGI version at the cinema and it didn't provoke any real reaction. It was just...an OK movie. Action adventure, swords and sandals...but pretty mediocre. But I didn't hate it and will probably watch it again at some stage. My six year old daughter loved it, though!

cheers

Russ

I also thought it was meh - take it or leave it

I didn't think any of the 3G stuff was worth it - it should have stayed the 2G movie it started out to be.

Liam was the only reason I went to the theater to see it. I won't seek it out, but probably would watch it again if I was flicking channels with nothing to do on a rainy day.

I watched "Thor" the other day. It took major liberties with Norse mythology (though I understand the movie is based on a comic book which is itself only loosely based on mythology).

That aside, I liked that movie. Better action, better acting, even better special effects. I don't know ... "Thor" did it for me whereas "Clash" didn't.

• 5 months later...
The ending of the first film left room for an inevitable sequel. I wonder what the sequel will offer us. No doubt we will see mummies and zombies and space aliens in Ancient Greek. And no doubt before the film's end, Ancient Greece will completely abandon its mythical heritage and usher in an enlightened age of Atheism. Or something.

...so Ursus you were right, there it is but no mummies and aliens i fear ;-)

A decade after his heroic defeat of the monstrous Kraken, Perseus-the demigod son of Zeus-is attempting to live a quieter life as a village fisherman and the sole parent to his 10-year old son, Helius. Meanwhile, a struggle for supremacy rages between the gods and the Titans. Dangerously weakened by humanity's lack of devotion, the gods are losing control of the imprisoned Titans and their ferocious leader, Kronos, father of the long-ruling brothers Zeus, Hades and Poseidon. The triumvirate had overthrown their powerful father long ago, leaving him to rot in the gloomy abyss of Tartarus, a dungeon that lies deep within the cavernous underworld. Perseus cannot ignore his true calling when Hades, along with Zeus' godly son, Ares (Edgar Ram

A decade after his heroic defeat of the monstrous Kraken, Perseus-the demigod son of Zeus-is attempting to live a quieter life as a village fisherman and the sole parent to his 10-year old son, Helius. Meanwhile, a struggle for supremacy rages between the gods and the Titans. Dangerously weakened by humanity's lack of devotion, the gods are losing control of the imprisoned Titans and their ferocious leader, Kronos, father of the long-ruling brothers Zeus, Hades and Poseidon. The triumvirate had overthrown their powerful father long ago, leaving him to rot in the gloomy abyss of Tartarus, a dungeon that lies deep within the cavernous underworld. Perseus cannot ignore his true calling when Hades, along with Zeus' godly son, Ares (Edgar Ram