UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Terry Jones` Barbarians (DVD)

Viggen

Had I not been committed to reviewing these DVDs for UNRV, I might have taken a hammer to them halfway through and gladly forgotten about the whole thing. In seeking to present "the other side of Roman history" and rescue Europe's other peoples from Roman propaganda, Terry Jones demonizes Ancient Rome as a brutal oppressor whose only real legacy lay in cultural genocide. Inverting an unjust bias against those who propagated it does not reverse the original bias; it only adds to the distortion of history. Jones` Barbarians is - to employ terms Mr. Jones would appreciate - poppycock and codswallop....

...read the full review of Terry Jones` Barbarians

Terry Jones demonizes Ancient Rome as a brutal oppressor whose only real legacy lay in cultural genocide.

That WAS an unwatchable series. Jones' main reason for emerging from obscurity was by making a career out of knee-jerk irreverence in Monty Python. Wikipedia says he currently passes his time by demonizing in print the efforts to contain terror. I wonder if he was the "python" who John Cleese suggested as having had a distrustful childhood making him paranoid about any authority. He had a funny way of describing this, but only would criticize in name the "python" who died.

About the same year, UC Berkeley held a class which is now downloadable that demonized the Romans in the same revisionist way, even within their borders. Also then, another "python" Micheal Palin did some present day travel documentaries pushing the victimology angle.

Terry Jones demonizes Ancient Rome as a brutal oppressor whose only real legacy lay in cultural genocide.

That WAS an unwatchable series. Jones' main reason for emerging from obscurity was by making a career out of knee-jerk irreverence in Monty Python. Wikipedia says he currently passes his time by demonizing in print the efforts to contain terror. I wonder if he was the "python" who John Cleese suggested as having had a distrustful childhood making him paranoid about any authority. He had a funny way of describing this, but only would criticize in name the "python" who died.

About the same year, UC Berkeley held a class which is now downloadable that demonized the Romans in the same revisionist way, even within their borders. Also then, another "python" Micheal Palin did some present day travel documentaries pushing the victimology angle.

Perhaps we'll find out more when this hits our screens in Autumn. OK, so that was an excuse to warn you all it was on its way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just watched: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001KL3H1W

While not perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than Jones.

I preferred the Germanic Tribes, too.

guy also known as gaius

Had I not been committed to reviewing these DVDs for UNRV, I might have taken a hammer to them halfway through and gladly forgotten about the whole thing. In seeking to present "the other side of Roman history" and rescue Europe's other peoples from Roman propaganda, Terry Jones demonizes Ancient Rome as a brutal oppressor whose only real legacy lay in cultural genocide. Inverting an unjust bias against those who propagated it does not reverse the original bias; it only adds to the distortion of history. Jones` Barbarians is - to employ terms Mr. Jones would appreciate - poppycock and codswallop....

...read the full review of Terry Jones` Barbarians

I agree, it was utterly obnoxious.

• 1 year later...