UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Beginnings Of Rome by Tj Cornells

pompeius magnus

The Beginnings Of Rome

The founding of Rome is shrouded in mystery. There are many stories from the likes of Livy and Vergil which have many falacies as can be expected from a source such as them writing fully believing in the stories of Rome's founding. What really happened we can not know, but a great theory based on archaeology is given by British author and Oxford professor TJ Cornell whom furthers the dominance of the British in the study of Rome. His book begins with an introduction describing the evidence including recent excavations that begin to bring us closer to understanding the mystery that is early Roma as well as going over the variety of sources that come from Rome herself as well as Greek people and gives a brief description of many of them...

...read the full review of Beginnings of Rome by T.J. Cornell

• Like 1

Excellent work PM. I read this book as well (though several years ago) and have used it as a resource several times in my own writings on this site. Your review has reminded me how in-depth the book is and that I need to get back into it as a complete work rather than just skimming through when I need to find some reference material.