UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Druids: A Very Short Introduction by Barry Cunliffe

Viggen

Druids: A Very Short Introduction by Barry Cunliffe

The Druids. Priests of a savage race who delighted in human sacrifice? Or wise men in white robes who communed with nature? These are the usual two views of Druidism served to the public; the first based on a Roman stereotype and the latter a Romantic reinvention. Somewhere between these extreme views lies a historical truth. Barry Cunliffe offers a concise overview of Druidism - both the historical and the invented....

...read the full review of Druids: A Very Short Introduction by Barry Cunliffe

I have Cunliffe's short intro to the Celts. I'll probably give this a look in the future too. It sounds much more up to date than Peter Beresford Ellis's book. Is there any mention of the so-called recent 'Druid' found in an excavation at Stanway in Colchester this year; or is that too recent an event?

Is there any mention of the so-called recent 'Druid' found in an excavation at Stanway in Colchester this year; or is that too recent an event?

I don't remember reading about that. The book was published in 2010, if it helps.

• 1 month later...

The reviewer did not like the cover. Please reconsider--it's gorgeous!

I think I'm more with Ursus on this one. Looking at the cover online it's what I would term more 'something and nothing', as far as my tastes are concerned. Possibly not as bad as some but not really saying anything special just a few horizontal coloured lines splashed across the page. Is it part of the VSI branding?

Mind you given how contentious the whole area of druids and 'modern' miconceptions or perceptions of druidism can be maybe that's no bad thing ;)

BTW welcome to the site Historian08.