UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome's Last Citizen by Goodman & Soni

Viggen

This is a fabulous book for historians. It is a serious, yet gripping, book of history, the story of a man little known in this century although much loved 200 years ago. You may not recognise the names of either of these two co-authors. They both graduated from Duke University in North Carolina, USA, nine or ten years ago. Both have been political speech writers at one time or another since then, so are well versed in the customs and practices of the paraphernalia of modern Government in the United States. Both have cooperated on a number of pieces for various publications including (according to Wikipedia) Politico, The Huffington Post, Business Insider, AdWeek, and The Atlantic, and others, as well as the subject book of this review...

...continue to the review of Rome's Last Citizen by Goodman & Soni

• 2 weeks later...

Though I am no expert from my understanding Cato the younger was a bit of a prude aka Stoic. Cato the Elder wasn't he the one who said Carthage must die. And I always thought Washington preferred Cincinnatus as a role model for his leadership. Interesting timing for this book though considering current political events. Will have to give it a read. 

I never have been a huge fan of Cato's - his unwillingness to change or compromise did as much to spark the Civic Wars as Caesar's pride did - but I am always willing to re-evaluate my opinions, so I'd definitely give this a read.