UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Persian Fire by Tom Holland

If I told you that you could profit from reading the historical treatise of a writer of vampire novels, you might look at me askance. But what if the novelist in question were educated at Cambridge and Oxford, and had written extensively on the classics? What if he were the author of the unforgettable Rubicon? Yes, indeed, Tom Holland is back. Having offered us the fall of the Roman Republic, Holland now enmeshes us in even grander topics...

...read the full review of Persian Fire by Tom Holland

And a year later, I finally got to read it. A book on Greek history for those who may not otherwise enjoy Greek history.

Excellent, written with the same novel-like eye to drama as Rubicon. Also provided some wonderful background on the relatively little known Persian Empire. I'm not sure I agree with the introductory premise though that the Persian Wars are still oh-so-relevant because of 9/11.

Holland needs to write something on Ancient Egypt now.

I heard his next book will be about the Medieval period. Possibly the Norman conquests or the Crusades. A Crusades book would make more sense considering the reason he wrote Persian Fire (East vs West). I just hope he makes another book set in the ancient world.

Yes, unless the book is rife with his trademark cynical quips, I think I shall skip any Medieval attempts.

In fact, I'd like to see a sequel to Persian Fire, dealing with the war between Athens and Sparta, the rise of Macedon, and the conquest of Persia.

And if he wants to get really ambitious ... there are always the Punic Wars.

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire