UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fortifications in Central Gaul

I can't read French. Can somebody kindly explain what this map is supposed to represent? I've searched the names of some of these forts in Google, but can't find any information about them, and I don't seem to recall any of my English books on Roman Gaul and Germany even mentioning such fortifications, but then those books don't even discuss the "Saxon Shore" forts. However, I did hear mention of "limes belgicus" (no info to be found again) and was wondering if this map could represent that?

mapvnn.jpg

that's a map of late empire defenses in Germania I and Belgium I. In black are known remains or textual mentions, in white supposed sites

Translations as follow :

round symbol : fortified city, town,

crenaleted symbol : fortifications

square symbol : smaller fortifications

bridge like symbol : river fortifications

dotted line : main roads

round symbol with small white circle inside : capital city

black triangle : oppidum/hilltop fortification

white triangle pointing up : refuge

white triangle pointing down : rural/campaign defenses

flag : headquarter of the Letes, Gentiles and Sarmatians

helmet symbol : weapon production and storage

capitale de cit

Gentiles are a regular roman army unit made up of barbarian born soldiers, mostly laeti (hereditary soldiers working for Rome in exchange for the right to stay in the Empire with their family after their terms, even getting lands, an individual deal between the soldier and the state), which must be clearly distinguished from the foederati (whole barbarian tribes who have a "contract" with the empire, fighting for it in exchange for land where they can be ruled according to their own laws and customs).

Laeti seems to have been made of mainly defeated barbarians or their heirs, only those surviving a full term of service with the army being given roman citizenship

• 2 weeks later...

Gentiles are a regular roman army unit made up of barbarian born soldiers, mostly laeti (hereditary soldiers working for Rome in exchange for the right to stay in the Empire with their family after their terms, even getting lands, an individual deal between the soldier and the state), which must be clearly distinguished from the foederati (whole barbarian tribes who have a "contract" with the empire, fighting for it in exchange for land where they can be ruled according to their own laws and customs).

Laeti seems to have been made of mainly defeated barbarians or their heirs, only those surviving a full term of service with the army being given roman citizenship

Thank you!