UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Roman Books - January 2006

Viggen

The new year kicks off slowly with only a handfull of new publications, but nevertheless some interesting stuff...

Bread And Circuses: A Sourcebook On The Roman Games by Alison Futrell

The Pocket Timeline of Ancient Rome by Katharine Wiltshire

Pompeii : Lost and Found by Mary Pope Osborne

Hannibal's War (Oxford World's Classics) by Livy, J.C. Yardley, Dexter Hoyos

Decembers most popular books according to Unrv.com sales can be found here (December was all about the Fall of Rome :) )

The bestselling Top 5 for the whole of 2005 are...

5. Caesar's Legion: The Epic Saga of Julius Caesar's Elite Tenth Legion and the Armies of Rome by Stephen Dando-Collins

4. Roman Legionary 58 BC-AD 69 by Ross Cowan

3. Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World by Simon Anglim

2. The Fall of Rome : And the End of Civilization by Ward-Perkins

1. The Complete Roman Army by Adrian Goldsworthy

regards

viggen

Cowan and Goldsworthy's books are top notch, if rather brief. The Osprey book is ,as usual sparse, concise and direct.

If you haven't already purchased it, I'd highly recommend Ward-Perkins' book. It mobilizes legions of new data to annihilate the trendy thesis that "Rome didn't fall, it just evolved." Even if you don't agree with this thesis, the data cannot be ignored but must be explained in a way that fits the "gradual evolution" idea.

If you haven't already purchased it, I'd highly recommend Ward-Perkins' book. It mobilizes legions of new data to annihilate the trendy thesis that "Rome didn't fall, it just evolved." Even if you don't agree with this thesis, the data cannot be ignored but must be explained in a way that fits the "gradual evolution" idea.

I am part way through this particular work and I have to back up MPCs comment.I suggest a lot of the "evolved Germanic" trend is ,firstly: actually PC thinking trying to iron out "conflict" in history as it makes liberals faint and ,secondly: pro "european" writers are merely trying to give some historic justification to the non-functioning mess of the EU. Rant over.