UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Your screen name

There are some great names in this forum and i was just wondering why'd you choose it? what attracted you to it? and in some cases what does it mean?

My screen name Gaius Paulinus Maximus was a fictional character in probably my favourite roman novel called Eagle In The Snow by Wallace Breem.

GPM is a Roman general during the last years of the empire, he is in charge of a single legion ordered to defend the Rhine frontier against the invasion of the barbarian hordes, he is everything that i would have expected a Roman to be, he puts the glory of Rome before anything else and stands by his concept of duty and holds the frontier far longer than seems possible.

Apparently this book became an inspiration for the oscar winning film Gladiator.

Thats my story, what about yours?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually go by the screen name of "Nephele Carnal" (an anagram of my actual name). For this board, however, I substituted the Late Latin, feminine carnalis (from which "carnal" is derived) for my "surname".

-- Nephele

Ludovicus is a latinized barbarian name. My father is a Goth. My mother, a Roman. He complains that I speak Gothic with a Latin accent. She maintains my Latin is not classical. Could it be that I'm a transitional figure pointing to a post Roman society? The whole village thinks so. Justinian's forces passed through here the other day and what a mess they made of everything. Even the Latin speakers curse them.

Mine's actually more basic...and nothing to do with any historical (or otherwise) figure.

docoflove1974:

doc: PhD (edit: just finished, Aug 07!)

of: connector, functional word to ease the intelligibility of the phrase

love: Romance languages (my specialty)

1974: the year of my birth

Edited by docoflove1974

There was already a member who had taken my name Livia Drusilla - talking of which, where is the little imposter? :ph34r: Therefore, I decided to use the title Augustus left to me in his will, the dear man. I have dropped the Julia, as I am a Claudian - a point I could never get across to him..... And as several of my successors used 'Augusta' as part of their official nomenclature, I thought I should really distinguish myself by the use of the definite article. I was the first Augusta, therefore 'The' Augusta. And as Augustas went, they didn't come any bigger than me!

It is a sad state of affairs to watch from the heavens and see how countless thousands have maligned me through history. And now my altars are deserted. I've not seen as much as a spoonful of chicken blood in two thousand years! I am not sure who that woman is over on the left..... Some Welsh actress, I am told... ;)

I became enchanted with the Seleucids, mainly because they have very little documented history. I learned about them in the first place by playing Rome: Total War. I really like Seleucia because it has a nice flow to it. Therefore I thought it would be nice to be different from all the Roman names here and be Antiochus. Antiochus the Seleucid from the capital city of Seleucia (which eerily I found to be modern day Bahgdad). I can also go by 'Seleukos' too, I really like that name too. Antiochus Seleukos of Seleucia!

Edit: (Haha bad name for initials though!)

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

I choose Rameses the Great, because of Ancient Egypt he was the greatest pharaoh who ever lived. Also having a term as Rameses the III was too confusing. Also he's the only pharaoh I really liked. King Tut, King Menes, and crew I don't like. Why I don't know why. Rameses the Great and King Thutmose I really like. I like Imothep because of his name, but I am not that Egyptian.

Edited by Rameses the Great

People often comment how much like my namesake I appear, but my first attempt at a screen name was actually Decimus Brutus. The reason is that I'd simply assumed that Cato had already been taken, so I chose the name of the pirate who offered a counter-ransom to save those on Octavian and Antony's list of the proscribed. For that, Decimus Brutus was like a Roman Scarlet Pimpernel, who was (and still is) one of my favorite literary characters. Having found that my second choice was already taken, I tried my first choice on a lark--and it worked.

My interest in and admiration for M. Porcius Cato have their origins in two works--Sallust (a partisan of Caesar and Clodius, thus a natural enemy of Cato) and Lily Ross Taylor's "Party Politics in the Age of Caesar." The Sallust passage (Cat. 54) that initially caught my interest was the famous one that contrasted Caesar and Cato:

In birth, age and eloquence, they were well matched. They had the same nobility of soul, and equal, though quite different, reputations. Caesar was esteemed for the many kind services he rendered and for his lavish generosity; Cato, for the consistent uprightness of his life. The former was renowned for his humanity and mercy; the latter had earned respect by his strict austerity. Caesar won fame by his readiness to give, to relieve, to pardon; Cato, by never offering presents. The one was a refuge for the unfortunate, and was praised for his good nature; the other was a scourge for the wicked, admired for his firmness. Finally, Caesar had made it a rule to work hard and sleep little; to devote himself to the interests of his friends and to neglect his own; to be ready to give people anything that was worth the giving. For himself he wanted a high command, an army, and a war in some new field where his gifts could shine in all their brightness. Cato's taste was for restraint, propriety, and, above all, austerity. He did not compete in wealth with the wealthy or in party quarrels with the politicans, but with the man of action in deserving, with the virtuous in self-restraint, and with the righteous in strict honesty. He was more concerned to be a good man than to be thought one; and so the less he courted fame, the more did it attend his steps unsought.

My name was based on a paper I read several years ago outlining popular Roman male names. One was Decimus, so I tried that but it had already been taken. Lacking any originality or thought I just added Caesar to the end as it was the only other Roman name I could think of at the time as I was rather tired. I now regret that I hadn't chosen a better name, but even so I still can't think of another appropriate Roman name that hasn't already been used. Plus I am not sure how to change my name display anyway.

Edited by DecimusCaesar