UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
drachor

Online study of History

I have noted that today one can study online for a masters degree in anything from nutrition and public health to MBAs but I have not been able to find any opportunities to do online or distance graduate study in history. I wonder why this is. Is it something about the discipline itself or is it from a lack of interest. My real question is "Are there any quality opportunities out there for graduate level study in History (classical) from a distance?"

I have an MA in the educational field but I do lot of study in Roman history and would love to turn it into a degree.

Try googling ("distance learning" history degree) without the ().

AMU.APUS.EDU

You can major in several disciplines of History. I am in Classical Studies right now.

Yea, I was familiar with the American Military University and its cousin American Public University. How do you feel about the program? Do you have any comments about the accreditation?

One of UNRV's own members, Dr. Philip Matyszak, last year taught an online course (with college credits) offered through University of Cambridge's Institute of Continuing Education. Here's an old link to the course registration page.

I don't know if Maty is still teaching this online course, but you might want to contact the Courses Registrar to find out what other tutors might be teaching online this year, if you don't mind that the course fees appear to be higher for students outside the U.K. and E.U.

-- Nephele

Very interesting link Nephele. If I had the money I would hope to study the Classics one day.

Me too DC, I've often thought about taking a course in ancient history but I just don't think I've got the time to give it my full attention, I've had a look at a few courses and you really need to be 100% dedicated to it or you will most certainly fail and to do that would be a complete waste of my time and not to mention money, because they're not cheap!

Maybe in few years when the kids are a bit older and less demanding.

I spoke to the administrator at a local private University and after looking up the American Public University he told me that their accreditation is from completely respected accrediting bodies. This was very encouraging to me.

I spoke to the administrator at a local private University and after looking up the American Public University he told me that their accreditation is from completely respected accrediting bodies. This was very encouraging to me.

Yeah, I've looked into myself and it's legitimate. I'm seriously considering doing it. My only concern is their history class is broad; I would like to focus on ancient history.

Yeah, I've looked into myself and it's legitimate. I'm seriously considering doing it. My only concern is their history class is broad; I would like to focus on ancient history.

If it's any help, I'll be probably teaching two 12 week courses online each side of the Christmas/Saturnalia break.

First off is the 'Rome, the city, society and infrastructure' which is the one Nephele referred to earlier, and the second is one which I have just received the contract to write and teach - namely 'Athens and the 5th century intellectual revolution'. Cambridge hasn't started advertising these yet, and will be giving priority on the Athens course to those who have done the Rome module with me, but if anyone is interested I can certainly put them in touch with Lynne Harrison at Cambridge university who will give then technical details of how much and how to sign up.

A suggestion to Ursus - might we not try to persuade any UNRV members who do any kind of online course in ancient history to review it so that others thinking of getting academical have a better idea what it entails?