UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
sylla

United States: 2

Well done USA !

Don't want to spoil your party, but .... it's only the Confederations Cup, nobody cares really. Not over here, anyway.

I mean, New Zealand and Iraq ? The Real Tournament is next year. :rolleyes:

Weird statistics : Spain : fouls committed, 13 ; fouls suffered, 7 - USA : fouls committed, 9 ; fouls suffered, 13.

Whom did they commit those two other fouls on ?

That's really good though : shots on goal, 2 ; goals, 2. 100 % succes rate. Really Italian style. Love that. Not that fancy Brasilian and Dutch showmanship. It's all about scoring goals, nothing else.

So I'll be supporting the plucky underdogs in the final. Those Brazilians, do they really need yet another cup ? Don't think so. Isn't that right, Aurelia ? B)

F :) rmosus

yup, Spain beaten by the USA, regardless how you value that tournament, a win against the european champion and especially with their current run (35 games in a row unbeaten) is something the USA can be proud of.

I am going to watch with great interest tonight Brazil vs. South Africa, on paper an easy win for Brazil, but let`s see how the Sele

That's really good though : shots on goal, 2 ; goals, 2. 100 % succes rate. Really Italian style. Love that. Not that fancy Brasilian and Dutch showmanship. It's all about scoring goals, nothing else.

So I'll be supporting the plucky underdogs in the final. Those Brazilians, do they really need yet another cup ? Don't think so. Isn't that right, Aurelia ? :rolleyes:

F :) rmosus[/color]

Oh, you are just jealous FV. What do the so-called "Red Devils" have to show for? And anyway, what's wrong with a bit showmanship in soccer? That's what makes it fun to watch! B)

I can't deny I'll support Brazil tonight but let's say I won't be sad if South Africa wins either... May the best team win.

Oh, you are just jealous FV. What do the so-called "Red Devils" have to show for? And anyway, what's wrong with a bit showmanship in soccer? That's what makes it fun to watch! B)

I can't deny I'll support Brazil tonight but let's say I won't be sad if South Africa wins either... May the best team win.

Yes, that's easy for you to say, isn't it ? You're in a win

And those 'Red Devils' ? I've given up on them years ago. We still had a decent team, a world class defence even, until the eighties. But ever since then ? It's just hopeless. We're not even third rate anymore.

OK - me and the rest of England are confused! The 'Red Devils' has just ONE connotation here - and believe me, they are far from third rate, gods curse 'em!

I've always been an Azzurri fan anyway. Ever since the legendary Battle of Santiago in '62 .

I knew there was a reason I liked you Formosus. A fellow tifosa here. :lol:

I've not seen the Battle of Santiago before, so thanks for that FV, some of those tackles were unbelievable, especially the flying kung fu kick to the head!!!! :lol:

OK - me and the rest of England are confused! The 'Red Devils' has just ONE connotation here - and believe me, they are far from third rate, gods curse 'em!

Hey, we have been Red Devils for over 100 years now. But OK, if that hurts your sensitivities it's Rode Duivels / Diables Rouges / Rote Teufel from now on.

I've always been an Azzurri fan anyway. Ever since the legendary Battle of Santiago in '62 .

I knew there was a reason I liked you Formosus. A fellow tifosa here. :lol:

Wasn't that the greatest game ever ? 11 Italians, taking on the Chilean team and a 50 000 strong mad crowd and the Chilean police and army, all on the other side of the world. That took some guts. As a kid I was awestruck, I can tell you. From then on it was all 'catenaccio' for us. We thought that was Italian for 'break their legs by any means you can'.

F ;) rmosus

From then on it was all 'catenaccio' for us. We thought that was Italian for 'break their legs by any means you can'.

F ;) rmosus

[/color]

Hehe - I love it! I have always had a penchant for Claudio Gentile - the Juventus/Azzurri defender who made damned sure that if he got a yellow card, the other fella went off on a stretcher! They're all pussies today. :lol:

From then on it was all 'catenaccio' for us. We thought that was Italian for 'break their legs by any means you can'.

F B) rmosus

[/color]

Hehe - I love it! I have always had a penchant for Claudio Gentile - the Juventus/Azzurri defender who made damned sure that if he got a yellow card, the other fella went off on a stretcher! They're all pussies today. ;)

His surname certainly makes a mockery of the way he played football :lol:

To be fair, the modern way of defending is much better and the modern defenders are much better. Maldini, Cannavaro, Nesta. They would all have made far from bad forward players as well. And it's not really about injuring other people of course.

But the essence of the Italian concept is still there : as long as you don't concede a goal, you can't loose the match. And you only need to score once in that case to win it. Purely defensive play as many mediocre teams practise, is very boring, but the way the Italians do it, it's an artform.

Football is much more than dribbling and shooting a ball : there's only one man who won that Cup for Italy in 2006 and that was Marco Materazzi. He did score the equaliser, but much more important : he outsmarted the French. I did feel sorry for Zidane somewhat, he was one of the greatest and a very nice man off the field. It was sad his carreer had to end on such a low note, but there was no excuse for what he did, and it wasn't the first time he did such things either. Keeping a cool head and using your opponents weaknesses is essential and nobody is better at that than the Italians.

There was no doubt in my mind where that Cup was going once Zidane was sent off, even though the crowd sided with the French and the commentators all thought there was everything still to play for since the scores were equal. But the French were beaten. Italy had won that Cup and they were going to take it home. And no Italian was going to miss a penalty that night. I'd easily have taken a five to one bet on that.

F :lol: rmosus

There's still some speculation about what exactly Materazzi said to Zidane but what ever it was and how ever bad it was what Zidane did was complete and utter madness. The moment Zidane flipped and nutted him the game was as good as won for the Italians, with France's most influential and arguably the best player in the world out of the game I as well as most of the fans watching could only see one winner.

Whenever Zidane has a moment to himself he must re-live that moment of madness over and over again in his head. What a silly silly boy!!! :D