UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Empire + The Ancient World chat.

Kieronus

I have once proposed that an URNV chat should be created but it was decided that there was no need for one. I would still like try it out though.

Edited by Klingan

I have once proposed that an URNV chat should be created but it was decided that there was no need for one. I would still like try it out though.

It's open 24/7, whether an admin is present or not. So drop in. Or arrange to meet a few from here.

As well as the instant chat:

Videos can be posted into it for later watching.

Specific discussions can take place via a board.

'Floating' chatbox option.

Cheers

Edited by Kieronus

If there is an interest, we are open for discussion if we should implement one or not...

cheers

viggen

If there is an interest, we are open for discussion if we should implement one or not...

cheers

viggen

I've never been on a chat room before but I went in this one today and quite enjoyed it, Formosus was there plus another lady and we were chatting about Rome, football etc. It was pretty good to have the instant chat option. I don't know whether it would work here though, my one concern is that it might take people away from the forum and spend more time chatting instead of contributing to the board.

I don't know but could it not be done on maybe a few weeks trial period, see how it goes, if it's good and doesn't dramatically affect the forum and people enjoy it then keep it, if it isn't then bin it!!

I don't know how feasible this is?

cheers

viggen

I've never been on a chat room before but I went in this one today and quite enjoyed it, Formosus was there plus another lady and we were chatting about Rome, football etc. It was pretty good to have the instant chat option. I don't know whether it would work here though, my one concern is that it might take people away from the forum and spend more time chatting instead of contributing to the board.

I don't know but could it not be done on maybe a few weeks trial period, see how it goes, if it's good and doesn't dramatically affect the forum and people enjoy it then keep it, if it isn't then bin it!!

I don't know how feasible this is?

I enjoyed our little chat too. It was also my first time :huh:

We talked about football and about Rome and about football in Rome :D I think we all learned some things. I certainly did. I had never heard of the goddess Angeronia which the third member of our chat brought up. To be honest, I thought for a moment : Angeronia ? Is she having us on ? Didn't sound very Roman but very made up to me. I had the good sense to check on wiki though.

I also liked the easy access : no signing up or registering and all that hassle.

I don't see why it should distract anyone from contributing to the forum. Some people won't care for chatting anyway and others who seldom contribute might be induced to do so a bit more often. I'm an eternal optimist, I guess.

F :) rmosus

I had a peek in and it looks like I just missed Klingan and Artimi. I was all alone in the chat room. :D

-- Nephele

I had a peek in and it looks like I just missed Klingan and Artimi. I was all alone in the chat room. :D

-- Nephele

Me too. I was there half an hour after them.

I went back later and encountered Octavius, Formosus, Artimi, and Crispina in the chat room. I have to say, it was quite a bit of fun.

-- Nephele

I had a peek in and it looks like I just missed Klingan and Artimi. I was all alone in the chat room. :huh:

-- Nephele

Me too. I was there half an hour after them.

I went back later and encountered Octavius, Formosus, Artimi, and Crispina in the chat room. I have to say, it was quite a bit of fun.

-- Nephele

Quite a bit of fun???

Your already an Admin!!!! You don't mess around do you Neph!! :D

Octavius owns the chat room, and I think he drafted me.

I was just now in there again for a little while. So were Crispina, Artimi, Formosus, and Octavius.

It's interesting to see the direction that live chat takes. I came in on a conversation involving Roman tourism, which turned into a discussion of the catacombs, then Agrippa's "Black Bedroom," then Christ's bare footprint on the Via Appia (leading to some hilarious irreverence), which sequed into talk of Bigfoot as perhaps being the source of that footprint, then a bit of politically incorrect punning on Chinese names, then speculation over whether the ancient Romans had ever encountered the Chinese, then some discussion about some of the more wacky things to be found in Pliny's Natural History...

Yup, quite fun.

-- Nephele

We were talking, amongst many other things, about this quote in the chatroom :

" ... within a certain vale of the mountaine Imaus, wherein are found savage and wild men, living and conversing usually among the brute beasts, who have their feet growing backward, and turned behind the calves of their legs, howbeit they run most swiftly ... "

Pliny, Natural History, bk 7 ch 2

And that got me thinking :

It was pretty good to have the instant chat option. I don't know whether it would work here though, my one concern is that it might take people away from the forum and spend more time chatting instead of contributing to the board.

I agree - also one is already available to us, and appears to be working, so why don't we all just use that one?