UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Julius Camillus

Ara Pacis

Guys,

I need high quality images (if there are any) of the various images, inparticular, the east and west walls with the Lupercal and the female Bellatrix which is incomplete. As well any information on it that is a bit better than wikipedia. The other panels and walls are of interest as well, but the above two mostly. And a quick query. What type of sacrifices were performed on the altar?

thanks guys,

GJC

I can see what I have, took quite a deal of shots of it last time I was there.

As well any information on it that is a bit better than wikipedia.

Just about anything you find at UNRV is going to be better than (ugh) Wikipedia.

And for an exceptionally well-written article on the Ara Pacis, I refer you to the March 2007 award-winning essay by UNRV member The Augusta:

Laying New Foundations: How Augustan Propaganda Attempted to Reshape the Roman Past

-- Nephele

Have there been any researchers who do not believe this is the real Ara pacis? And if so, what are there reasons? Thanks in advance guys.

GJC

I couldn't comment on that suggestion however I believe that the recovery of fragments from the original structure took several years with the last sections finally being lifted from where they were found much below current ground level and moved to their current location at Mussolini's order. Subsequently it was enclosed in a specially built museum - the latest incarnation of which has received a lot of criticism. I suppose that on that basis someone who was being totally pedantic could probably raise an argument that it is not the 'real' Ara Pacis as it is not in its 'original' position or condition following re-erection. :clapping:

However, I wouldn't personally subscribe to that view. :rip:

Edited by Melvadius

Have there been any researchers who do not believe this is the real Ara pacis? And if so, what are there reasons? Thanks in advance guys.

GJC

I couldn't comment on that suggestion however I believe that the recovery of fragments from the original structure took several years with the last sections finally being lifted from where they were found much below current ground level and moved to their current location at Mussolini's order. Subsequently it was enclosed in a specially built museum - the latest incarnation of which has received a lot of criticism. I suppose that on that basis someone who was being totally pedantic could probably raise an argument that it is not the 'real' Ara Pacis as it is not in its 'original' position or condition following re-erection. :clapping:

However, I wouldn't personally subscribe to that view. :rip:

As stated, the location was selected by Mussolini; of course it did and will receive a lot of criticism from the media. For them, it is a sure bet.