UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Klingan

Identification of a motif

I happened in the embarrassing situation that I posted this picture on my blog (which is still being updated daily) without knowing the mythological background on the motif. I therefore wonder if anyone here has a theory?

Thanks!

2hhzwg5.jpg

I can't make out the scene in the lower part. Are those cattle being attacked by lions?

-- Nephele

The main panel looks like a generic image of warriors on horseback, not necessarily a scene from mythology.

The top bit might be, perhaps a hero leaving for battle?

I can't make out the scene in the lower part. Are those cattle being attacked by lions?

-- Nephele

Sorry for being unclear, I was referring to the main scene.

The main panel looks like a generic image of warriors on horseback, not necessarily a scene from mythology.

The top bit might be, perhaps a hero leaving for battle?

&

They look like Scythians to me.

FV

Well, I believe it's a mythological scene as it looks like the last rider has wings. It could be a stylized shield as well though?

Scythians sounds like a good guess otherwise.

Looks like a shield to me.

And they are carrying bows.

On top, might that be the Horse of Troy with some warriors with shields around it ?

FV

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

Well, I believe it's a mythological scene as it looks like the last rider has wings. It could be a stylized shield as well though?

Looks like a shield to me.

On top, might that be the Horse of Troy with some warriors with shields around it ?

FV[/color]

It's a warrior mounting a chariot.

FV[/color]

It's a warrior mounting a chariot.

I agree.

(Somewhere near Troy perhaps ? ;) )

FV

As far as I can find, this is a hydria decorated by the Antimenes Painter who was active in the last third of the 6th century BCE.

I can't find exactly what this scene is representing although the favourite theme of the painter was Herakles. I found one description that simply mentioned four horses and warriors so there is a possibility that the theme is non mythical, but once you lock into the period and the painter, almost every description is mythical.

As far as I can find, this is a hydria decorated by the Antimenes Painter who was active in the last third of the 6th century BCE.

I can't find exactly what this scene is representing although the favourite theme of the painter was Herakles. I found one description that simply mentioned four horses and warriors so there is a possibility that the theme is non mythical, but once you lock into the period and the painter, almost every description is mythical.

Could it possibly be connected somehow to the Scythians mysterious heritage from Heracles?

Could it possibly be connected somehow to the Scythians mysterious heritage from Heracles?

All the useful information about this piece appears in relation to its transfer of ownership to the Republic of Italy from the Boston Museum Of Fine Arts about three years ago. The main image is described as four barbarian horsemen, probably Scythians, given their pointed caps, long sleeves and check trousers.

There are mentions of images containing both herakles and Scythian archers on other pieces by the Antimenes Painter, but none that I can find to put this one in a particular mythical context.

All the useful information about this piece appears in relation to its transfer of ownership to the Republic of Italy from the Boston Museum Of Fine Arts about three years ago. The main image is described as four barbarian horsemen, probably Scythians, given their pointed caps, long sleeves and check trousers.

There are mentions of images containing both herakles and Scythian archers on other pieces by the Antimenes Painter, but none that I can find to put this one in a particular mythical context.

Thanks a lot MS! I knew that it was a famous piece by a "known" painter, as I took this shot at the new acropolis museum last winter, but I couldn't pin point it.

Edited by Klingan

Nice spotting; this baby is the piece 1979.614 from the Museum of Fine Arts of Boston, an Antimenes' Hydria of 46 cm. height with the following official description:

"Main scene on body: Four barbarian horsemen ride to the right on three black horses and one white.

The horsemen wear pointed caps, long sleeves, and patterned trousers and are probably Scythians.

Below main panel: frieze of animals below, with central group of two lions attacking an animal.

Scene on shoulder: departure scene with warrior mounting chariot while five other figures look on".

Nice spotting; this baby is the piece 1979.614 from the Museum of Fine Arts of Boston, an Antimenes' Hydria of 46 cm. height with the following official description:

"Main scene on body: Four barbarian horsemen ride to the right on three black horses and one white.

The horsemen wear pointed caps, long sleeves, and patterned trousers and are probably Scythians.

Below main panel: frieze of animals below, with central group of two lions attacking an animal.

Scene on shoulder: departure scene with warrior mounting chariot while five other figures look on".