UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

roman military helmet question

Between the very early monarchy (Pre-Republic) and the late empire the Roman helmets were largely bowl shaped. The attic style, with its flat brow plate and crest, so often seen in tv and film, was ceremonial in nature and not generally used in battle.

The problem then is detail. The style of neckguard, the presence of a raised lip along the brow, the cheekflaps, and decoration are all indicators. Greece & Rome At War by Peter Connolly has lots of full colour illustrations and includes a development chart.

Edited by caldrail

Salvete

I'm interested to know the noticable differences between the Imperial Gallic and Imperial Itallic helmets of the Roman legions- I can't seem to tell the difference! I am aware that they are similar, however any help would be received greatfully.

Valete

These classifications come from H. Russel Robinson's "The Armour of Imperial Rome", so there is a detailed source. Basically, the differences are subtle, certainly in the first century when both were prevalent. The Gallic type was a development of the Coolus type helmet taking styling cues from Gallic helmet design. They were originally manufactured by the skilled iron smiths of Gaul and featured a deep neck guard, embossed eyebrow pattern and re-enforced brow peak.

That is a very basic description and it is also worth pointing out that they were always made of forged iron. Still influenced by the Gallic type, workshops in Italy began to produce the Italic helmet. Originally it was usually less decorative and of lower quality. It remained in use into the third century and conversely, many examples have been found of superior quality and ornate decoration. The patterns were different and the Italic type was sometimes made of bronze. The iron of the day was rather brittle and bronze allowed the employment of 'spun' manufacture. They were also sometimes iron with bronze adornments.

Second century examples of Imperial Italic type helmets have been found with cross pieces across the skull cap. It is widely acknowledged that they were added in response to the ferocious 'falx' employed by the Dacians. Sorry if this is a little vague, but the truth is that there are not huge differences between these helmets.

Caldrail has already pointed you in the direction of one good source. Obviously Robinson is a prime choice and otherwise, may I suggest the Osprey series. I hope that this is at least a small help.

Edited by marcus silanus