UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nephele

Hail Neptunalia!

This Thursday (July 23rd, and 10 days before the Kalends of Sextilis), I wish a joyous Neptunalia to all!

Some ideas...

To avert the heat and drought often brought by this summer month of Quintilis, we may propitiate the deities of water and springs. As you take a cooling shower, give praise to the god Neptunus and his lady consort Salacia.

If you have access to the seashore to escape the summer heat, do your propitiation at the beach. ;)

Or just chill out at home with a cold beer and a toast to Neptunus and Salacia. :)

Also on this day, the Romans would build small outdoor huts, and cover them with the foliage of trees as shelter from the harsh light and heat of the sun. But you can use your patio umbrella as your Neptunalia "hut."

So relax and dine (Roman style!) outdoors in the shade of your patio umbrella "hut," in observance of this festival.

And don't forget the beer.

Any one else have suggestions for a modern-day observance of this holiday?

-- Nephele

This Thursday (July 23rd, and 10 days before the Kalends of Sextilis), I wish a joyous Neptunalia to all!

Some ideas...

To avert the heat and drought often brought by this summer month of Quintilis, we may propitiate the deities of water and springs. As you take a cooling shower, give praise to the god Neptunus and his lady consort Salacia.

If you have access to the seashore to escape the summer heat, do your propitiation at the beach. ;)

Or just chill out at home with a cold beer and a toast to Neptunus and Salacia. :)

Also on this day, the Romans would build small outdoor huts, and cover them with the foliage of trees as shelter from the harsh light and heat of the sun. But you can use your patio umbrella as your Neptunalia "hut."

So relax and dine (Roman style!) outdoors in the shade of your patio umbrella "hut," in observance of this festival.

-- Nephele

Could you suggest an alternative festival for those of us in the northern outposts of the empire? As NN etc will bear out, we have need of shelter from the drab slate grey skies and any homage to Neptune might only make things even more wet and miserable.

Could you suggest an alternative festival for those of us in the northern outposts of the empire? As NN etc will bear out, we have need of shelter from the drab slate grey skies and any homage to Neptune might only make things even more wet and miserable.

Aw... Marcus Silanus, you and Northern Neil and all our other members of rainy Britannia have my heartfelt sympathy. But I'm afraid that you must come up with your own ideas for observing (and adapting) the Neptunalia this coming Thursday. Come on -- be creative! :)

Thursday must not go by without marking the Neptunalia in some way or another!

-- Nephele

Some ideas...

If you have access to the seashore to escape the summer heat, do your propitiation at the beach. :lol:

Or just chill out at home with a cold beer and a toast to Neptunus and Salacia. :lol:

-- Nephele

What do you suggest I sacrifice asap, as the storm warnings are going out over the TV but are for areas all around my little corner of the world! I have some Smirnoff Ice I can pour on the ground.

What do you suggest I sacrifice asap, as the storm warnings are going out over the TV but are for areas all around my little corner of the world! I have some Smirnoff Ice I can pour on the ground.

I should think that the gods would be well appeased with a drop of Smirnoff.

I'll also put in a good word for Ohio with my sisters, the Nephelai.

-- Nephele

Aw... Marcus Silanus, you and Northern Neil and all our other members of rainy Britannia have my heartfelt sympathy. But I'm afraid that you must come up with your own ideas for observing (and adapting) the Neptunalia this coming Thursday. Come on -- be creative! :lol:

Thursday must not go by without marking the Neptunalia in some way or another!

-- Nephele

Not to mention our other freezing cold members in northern exile! Iupiter better like tea libanations!

Do me a favour will you Neph and have a quite word with your 'sisters' I've got to paint the outside of my house at some stage this week but your sisters have been camping out on my doorstep for the past couple of days now and as much as I love and revere the Nephlae they are starting to wind me up now!!!! And it's the start of the school holidays and the kids want to play out!

If you can do this for me Neph then I promise I will give thanks and libanations a plenty on Neptunalia!

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Not to mention our other freezing cold members in northern exile! Iupiter better like tea libanations!

Klingan, who could forget our freezing cold members, like you, up there in Scandinavia? You have my sympathies -- let's hope you have the sympathies of the gods, as well!

Do me a favour will you Neph and have a quite word with your 'sisters' I've got to paint the outside of my house at some stage this week but your sisters have been camping out on my doorstep for the past couple of days now and as much as I love and revere the Nephlae they are starting to wind me up now!!!! And it's the start of the school holidays and the kids want to play out!

If you can do this for me Neph then I promise I will give thanks and libanations a plenty on Neptunalia!

My Nephelian sisters can be quite capricious (like me!), but I'll see what I can do for you, GPM.

-- Nephele

It's raining at my place right now! And I didn't even spill the Smirnoffs. :lol:

You have to do that tomorrow, on the day of the Neptunalia. Don't forget! You don't want the gods to come to your house to collect on a bad debt. :lol:

-- Nephele