UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hey everyone, few probably remember me vtc now.

I should be back for a while at least.

Anyway me and a mate or two (depends) have been a band for almost a year now and done several gigs but we still have no name, I thought maybe a latin name or roman/romanised name would be cool.

If it helps:

I don't really mind how many words or syllables but I prefer stuff like - the some-thing(s) or some-thing 2-3 syllables would be great.

We are a acoustic band mainly using the acoustic and bass guitars with vocals. Covers of coldplay, linkin park, switchfoot, lostprophets etc etc

My name is spoon if that is an aid

Well good luck, every contribution will be appreciated to the max :)

TY in advance!

vtc

ps nephele i'm staring at you, surely your good for a thousand names.

pps soz if thiss topic has already been done.

While waiting for better options from Neph and other UNRV members, what about "Veritas Victrix"?

Edited by sylla

While waiting for better options from Neph and other UNRV members, what about "Veritas Victrix"?

Thats cool, translates something like 'truth the victor' correct me if i'm wrong never took latin.

I'll have to run it by the lads but keep em coming.

TY

vtc

Nah, just one.

VTC, I propose a name for your band that incorporates Australian pride, drinking, and Latin, all in a single word:

Salutaria

Salutaria comes from the Latin phrase bibere salutaria, ("to drink one's health"). So "Salutaria!" might be construed as a Latin equivalent of "Cheers!"

The phrase bibere salutaria appears in The Golden Ass by Lucius Appuleius. It's the part where Thelyphron has just entertained some dinner guests with his tale of how he lost his nose and ears due to witchcraft. All present laugh heartily and drink to his health. (But of course. What could be funnier when you're already drunk, than to hear a story about supernatural mutilation?)

And, as if you Aussies didn't already have enough reason to be proud of your drinking stamina... "Salutaria" is an anagram of "Australia."

-- Nephele

Hey dude or dudette -

I had the same idea, and I named my band after my favourite Roman - Caius (three guesses which Caius). Maybe that'll help. I'm in a metal band now, and that one we've named Sulla - I tend to get my way with names! I toyed with Agelastus - it's a no no to smile in metal, so Agelastus (never smiles) was a candidate. I reckon that the nicknames that romans had for each other are good for band names.

You're right to ask Neph. She's the naming oracle!

Edited by cornelius_sulla