UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

UK's oldest Roman Coin found

Imagine finding a 2,000 year old Roman coin near the ancient path of the Ridgeway that had slipped from the fingers of a Celtic warrior in 207BC. Thatcham metal detectorist Malcolm Langford has discovered the UK's oldest Roman coin....

...read the full article at the BBC

What a wonderful find! thought I don't sure about there conclusion that the coin is pre-Caesarian/Claudian, coins were continued to be used long after they were struck so it's might as well arrive after the Romans based their rule in Britain.

On a sort of related topic, I'm looking for a genuine Roman coin that won't cost me the earth, my wife has always wanted one and I am going to try to get one for her birthday.

Any advice, assistance, pointers would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Ensign Ewart

On a sort of related topic, I'm looking for a genuine Roman coin that won't cost me the earth, my wife has always wanted one and I am going to try to get one for her birthday.

Well to begin with, you might want to open a topic in the market section - it'll hopefully attract more attention there.

Secondly, if you really decide to by a coin, be very careful. There are many many frauds on the market (or that is at least what I hear)

Well to begin with, you might want to open a topic in the market section - it'll hopefully attract more attention there.

Secondly, if you really decide to by a coin, be very careful. There are many many frauds on the market (or that is at least what I hear)

Thanks for that, I'm new to the site and just trying to find my way around, I'll get there in the end, hopefully!

I've largely stopped my own collecting of most ancient coins based on fears of archaeological site looting and contamination. However, there are many coins that have been in collectible circulation for many years. Try www.vcoins.com for a collection of many dealers. There is likely to be one with a brick and mortar shop somewhere near you for a more personal approach.

• 1 month later...

Amazing! To think that people from that time period, and so many others had no idea on such a little thing that happend (AkA dropping a coin) would have such a "WOW" on the world so many years later.

I am so glad for this man =) Seems like all of his hours of searching really led him to such an awesome find. Just hate it how some people have to comment (in the comments section under the article) such cynical (in a bad way) comments. One person wrote something about how he found a coin in his backyard a million years old. No respect. Some people just have no idea on what an impact something like this find has on history, nor do I think they really care. Obviously, he knows nothing about history, let alone even the history of man!