UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Rompe

All about Caligula

I've never heard that his cult continued after his death, what is your source for that?

I can not remember if it was on a website that I read about this or one of my Caligula or Roman books that I have. I read that the cult went on even as Claudius was Emperor for a little while and that the cult went underground so people could keep it "alive". From what I remember reading, this went on for around 9 months to a year before it completely got desolved (or from the time that people thought it was all desolved, but it was still underground and very private?) under Claudius

I can not remember ... I know that believing everything you read (at times, especially on the internet) is not always the correct information in the least.
Any information anywhere is as good as its sources.

This is one of the things that have really intrested me that I can not find a straight answer to anywhere it seems (on if the cults really went on or desolved right after Caligulas

Klingan... I would LOVE to see whatever fotos you have on the Nemi ships. The documentary that I was talking about that I saw on them was from the History Channel on the show "Ancient Discoveries". It is a great and very informative documentary to watch! Gives tons of information and computer reconstructions of what the ships were actually like, their discovery, studies on them, what Mussolini and his army did to them, and them today (what is left).

It's a great documentary, if it's the same as I've seen a while ago! Anyway, I'll upload the pictures as soon as I get home from work.

Klingan... I would LOVE to see whatever fotos you have on the Nemi ships. The documentary that I was talking about that I saw on them was from the History Channel on the show "Ancient Discoveries". It is a great and very informative documentary to watch! Gives tons of information and computer reconstructions of what the ships were actually like, their discovery, studies on them, what Mussolini and his army did to them, and them today (what is left).

It's a great documentary, if it's the same as I've seen a while ago! Anyway, I'll upload the pictures as soon as I get home from work.

Klingan,

This is one of the best and most informative documentaries that I have ever seen done on the Nemi ships. They deserve to have more information about them out there, but unfortunately, so few people that I have talked to about them have ever even heard of them. The documentary is on Netflix (do not know if you are a member or not) to get sent to your house if you ever want to see it again. I have yet to find it online in full to watch on any "free movie" sites unfortunately, since I would love to see it again as well.

Do you or anyone else happen to know if any books have been written on the ships at all? I own so many books about Caligula, along with so many others from other Roman time periods, but have yet to find any even in Rome, about these ships.

Klingan,

This is one of the best and most informative documentaries that I have ever seen done on the Nemi ships. They deserve to have more information about them out there, but unfortunately, so few people that I have talked to about them have ever even heard of them. The documentary is on Netflix (do not know if you are a member or not) to get sent to your house if you ever want to see it again. I have yet to find it online in full to watch on any "free movie" sites unfortunately, since I would love to see it again as well.

Do you or anyone else happen to know if any books have been written on the ships at all? I own so many books about Caligula, along with so many others from other Roman time periods, but have yet to find any even in Rome, about these ships.

I must unfortunately confess that I cannot find my shots of the ship details (which most probably means that I never took any pictures of them), but you'll find them in the Palazzo Massimo (Next to the Termini station) if you go to Rome again.

On the matter of books on the subject, I've never even seen them mentioned. It is incredible that they can stay this unknown!

Klingan,

I must unfortunately confess that I cannot find my shots of the ship details (which most probably means that I never took any pictures of them), but you'll find them in the Palazzo Massimo (Next to the Termini station) if you go to Rome again.

On the matter of books on the subject, I've never even seen them mentioned. It is incredible that they can stay this unknown!

My next scheduled trip to Italy is in the Springtime again =) I am hoping to make it to Lake Nemi and to the museum this time. I was this close *shows fingers pinched together* at hopefully going this last time around, but that did not happen.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that does not know of any books made on this topic. I find it really odd how they find that the Nemi ships are one of the biggest discoveries not only to maritime history, but also to ancient history as well in so many ways, yet no one has written. You would think how with finding the Nemi Ships with all the breakthroughs that happend that there would be at least 2-3 books out there since so much got found out that no one knew about, but all that there seems to be is articles =(

I think we can have a project...lets write a good book on the Nemi Ships :blink: Hopefully, that way, more of the world can be informed of them. It was sad, in Rome, I mentioned these ships to a few people that worked at different places around Rome (Palentine Hill, Colosseum etc) and I only had one person out of around 10-12 that even had a clue on what I was talking about!

Hi Rompe -

I too am fascinated by "Little Boots". There are plenty of good threads to search here; I have, and the good people of this Forum have discussed him at length.

I wanted to name my cat "Incitatus", but my wife wouldnt hear of it. We settled for Elvis. :blink:

Salve!

Marius

Edited by Marius Romilius

Hi Rompe -

I too am fascinated by "Little Boots". There are plenty of good threads to search here; I have, and the good people of this Forum have discussed him at length.

I wanted to name my cat "Incitatus", but my wife wouldnt hear of it. We settled for Elvis. B)

Salve!

Marius

Hello Marius!

It is great to see yet another intrested in "Little Boots" =) I have looked through mainly all the postings on here and have read many wonderful posts that people have made reguarding Caligula. I have not gotten through them all yet, but hopefully will soon.

Funny that you mention naming (or at least wanting to, which I give you much credit for!) an animal "Incitatus". I had a 3 day event warmblood horse (that was the whitish/light grey colour) that I named Incitatus. No one could ever pronounce the name correctly. I used to litterally have to spell it out on every event form "In-sit-a-tus" or else people would announce it "in-kit-ae-tis" and many other botchings of it. Sadly, the horse is no longer of this world.

I wonder what Caligula would think and/or feel about people naming their animals after his? Due to how he was with his attitude flips (or from what people have written how he acted) about one minute how he may have loved the idea and thought it full of honour and the next he could have wanted everyones heads to be cut off for copying him.

I have also heard of a few different things that happend to Incitatus after Caligulas death. I heard people tried to take him, people killed him, people set him out to work as a field horse, etc. Wondering exactly which one is true? I am thinking the one that they killed Incitatus seems the most accurate since it is written more than the other ideas.

Salve!

Rompe

I was never really into Caligula, I always preferred Claudius. But I was always interested in some of his quotes, such as "I don't care if they hate me, as long as they obey me"

He also made his horse a senator, which I find disturbing B)

He also made his horse a senator, which I find disturbing B)
Actually a urban myth; Suetonius only wrote that Caligula planned to make Incitatus a consul.

I know this is a bit old but Rompe I'm very into Caligula. He's very fascinating and I'm sure there is a lot more to learn about him. So I would love to have a discussion about him as well.

He also made his horse a senator, which I find disturbing :D
Actually a urban myth; Suetonius only wrote that Caligula planned to make Incitatus a consul.

The story might actually be true, the passage can be interpreted as Gaius trying to show the senate that even his horse could do a better consul then the aristocrats. This has been discussed in older thread thou.

Edited by Klingan

Greetings everyone,

I am very into Caligula. I am finding it very hard to find others that are into Caligula and/or study Caligula, his reign, rule, etc. I have been researching Caligula (in and out of Rome) for many years now.

Wondering if anyone else would be willing to start a topic on Caligula and discuss Him and his Empire?

I know a website that has post on caligula, take a look at it

Edited by Pompeii

Greetings everyone,

I am very into Caligula. I am finding it very hard to find others that are into Caligula and/or study Caligula, his reign, rule, etc. I have been researching Caligula (in and out of Rome) for many years now.

Wondering if anyone else would be willing to start a topic on Caligula and discuss Him and his Empire?

I know a website that has post on caligula, take a look at it

I'd certainly like to see more discussion of Caligula's empire. There's so much focus on Caligula's personal life that no-one seems to have noticed that the rest of the Roman empire actually got on rather well in the background. His biographers bang on about how his extravagance ruined the imperial finances but even a greatly extravagant emperor costs less than a small war, especially as Caligula's 'projects' spent the money within the empire and actually added to the money supply as a sort of stimulus package.

As far as I have been able to tell, unless you had the misfortune to be in close proximity to Caligula, things were not bad at all. Despite the stuff about wishing the people had just one neck for him to cut, it seems the common people of Rome genuinely missed him when he was gone.