UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The death of Ajax

Well, I've always been told that Ajax killed himself after his mad sheep rampage (After the competition about Achilles armour) - however when I read the Odyssey (Song IV) I cannot but notice that Homer tells us that he was drowned by Neptune. Does anyone know how this fit into the story?

For many of them were slain, and many were left; but two chieftains alone of the brazen-coated Achaeans perished on their homeward way ( as for the fighting, thou thyself wast there), and one, I ween, still lives, and is held back on the broad deep.

Well, I've always been told that Ajax killed himself after his mad sheep rampage (After the competition about Achilles armour) - however when I read the Odyssey (Song IV) I cannot but notice that Homer tells us that he was drowned by Neptune. Does anyone know how this fit into the story?

For many of them were slain, and many were left; but two chieftains alone of the brazen-coated Achaeans perished on their homeward way ( as for the fighting, thou thyself wast there), and one, I ween, still lives, and is held back on the broad deep.
Edited by sylla

I'm pretty sure that there was infact two warriors named Ajax, the one we all know of and a lesser not as well known Ajax.

I'll be back later with a bit more info....

EDIT:

I was just gonna say that Sylla!!!! :D Seems like you beat me too it...

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Just as an extra note - this Ajax was the fellow who raped Cassandra at the fall of Troy. C. was clinging to the altar of Athena for sanctuary and Ajax dragged her off. The other Greeks wanted to execute him - for impiety, not rape - but he saved himself by clinging to the fallen statue of Athena which had fallen over whilst he was dragging Cassandra off it.

As a result the gods were less than pleased with him - hence the incident on his journey home.