UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

people of rome

kevin37

Hi

i hope someone can help me with this. i did a google search with no luck i am looking to see if there is web site that i can put in someone's name to find out when they died?

[1}atia of the julii

{2} octavia of the julii

{3} marcus agrippa

{4} caesarion

thank you for any help on this.

Hi, kevin37.

I've arranged your "people of Rome" in chronological order, starting with the one who died first. The following quotes come from Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology:

Atia (mother of Augustus): "She died in the first consulship of her son, B.C. 43, and was honoured with a public funeral."

Caesarion (son of Cleopatra): "After the death of his mother [in B.C. 30], he was executed by order of Augustus."

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa: "He...retired to Campania. There he died unexpectedly, in the month of March, B.C. 12, his 51st year. His body was carried to Rome, and was buried in the mausoleum of Augustus, who himself pronounced a funeral oration over it."

Octavia (sister of Augustus): "She died in B.C. 11, and was buried in the Julian heroum, where Augustus delivered the funeral oration in her honour, but separated from the corpse by a hanging. Her funeral was a public one; her sons-in-law carried her to the grave; but many of the honours decreed by the senate were declined by the emperor."

-- Nephele

Octavia (sister of Augustus): "She died in B.C. 11, and was buried in the Julian heroum, where Augustus delivered the funeral oration in her honour, but separated from the corpse by a hanging.

Not sure what is meant here (Caesar's tomb?), but Octavia was buried in the Mausoleum of Augustus.

Octavia (sister of Augustus): "She died in B.C. 11, and was buried in the Julian heroum, where Augustus delivered the funeral oration in her honour, but separated from the corpse by a hanging.

Not sure what is meant here (Caesar's tomb?), but Octavia was buried in the Mausoleum of Augustus.

Hmm... Smith's Dictionary gives the following references for that bit: Dion Cass. liv. 35; Senec. ad Polyb. 34.

Maybe there's some confusion regarding which sister of Augustus was buried in the Julian heroum -- the younger full-sister or the elder half-sister?

From Cassius Dio, 54.35.4-5:

This is the tradition, whether credible to any one or not. That year he gave Julia in marriage to Tiberius, and when his sister died, he caused her body to lie in state in the shrine of Julius; and on this occasion also he had a curtain over the corpse. He himself delivered the funeral oration there, and Drusus delivered one from the rostra; for the mourning was publicly observed and the senators had changed their dress. Her body was carried in the procession by her sons-in‑law; but not all the honours voted for her were accepted by Augustus.

Although, I believe the year that Julia was given in marriage to Tiberius was roughly the same time that Octavia the Younger died. Thus Smith's identification of Octavia the Younger with the passage above.

-- Nephele

This is the tradition, whether credible to any one or not. That year he gave Julia in marriage to Tiberius, and when his sister died, he caused her body to lie in state in the shrine of Julius; and on this occasion also he had a curtain over the corpse. He himself delivered the funeral oration there, and Drusus delivered one from the rostra; for the mourning was publicly observed and the senators had changed their dress. Her body was carried in the procession by her sons-in‑law; but not all the honours voted for her were accepted by Augustus.

Lying in state != burial. There's the source of the confusion. :D

The shrine of Julius I guess would have been the one in the Forum (hence the second oration from the rostra), not Caesar's tomb which iirc was on the Campus Martius.

Burial in the forum would be highly unlikely in any case. I dinstictly remember seeing an epitaph bearing Octavia's name in the Mausoleum of Augustus.

It was a fake, though, and I'm not aware of an extant original.

BTW Atia and Octavia weren't "of the Julii" since they belonged to the Julii from their maternal side.

Good point; HBO Rome was not particularly accurate regarding these characters.

I figured that was common knowledge, particularly since HBO's Rome gave Atia a longer life-span than history did.

-- Nephele

Lying in state != burial. There's the source of the confusion. :D

The shrine of Julius I guess would have been the one in the Forum (hence the second oration from the rostra), not Caesar's tomb which iirc was on the Campus Martius.

Burial in the forum would be highly unlikely in any case. I dinstictly remember seeing an epitaph bearing Octavia's name in the Mausoleum of Augustus.

It was a fake, though, and I'm not aware of an extant original.

Congratulations, Mal; that was a most cleaver analysis.

As far as I can tell, Seneca's ad Polybius didn't add anything relevant on this issue.

Have you found any textual or epigraphical confimation for the actual burial of Octavia in the Augustan Mausoleum?

Hi, kevin37.

I've arranged your "people of Rome" in chronological order, starting with the one who died first. The following quotes come from Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology:

Atia (mother of Augustus): "She died in the first consulship of her son, B.C. 43, and was honoured with a public funeral."

Caesarion (son of Cleopatra): "After the death of his mother [in B.C. 30], he was executed by order of Augustus."

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa: "He...retired to Campania. There he died unexpectedly, in the month of March, B.C. 12, his 51st year. His body was carried to Rome, and was buried in the mausoleum of Augustus, who himself pronounced a funeral oration over it."

Octavia (sister of Augustus): "She died in B.C. 11, and was buried in the Julian heroum, where Augustus delivered the funeral oration in her honour, but separated from the corpse by a hanging. Her funeral was a public one; her sons-in-law carried her to the grave; but many of the honours decreed by the senate were declined by the emperor."

-- Nephele

Hi Nephele

thank you for that information. can i ask you is that the web site link to where you found that from when they died? thank you again

Hi, kevin37.

-- Nephele

Hi Nephele

thank you for that information. can i ask you is that the web site link to where you found that from when they died? thank you again

Hi Kev,

If you click on the link supplied by Neph then it will take you to Smith's Dictionary...... There you enter the name you are looking for in the search engine and it will take you to the the page giving you a brief history of the person in question.

Hi, kevin37.

-- Nephele

Hi Nephele

Hi Kev,

If you click on the link supplied by Neph then it will take you to Smith's Dictionary...... There you enter the name you are looking for in the search engine and it will take you to the the page giving you a brief history of the person in question.

Hi Gaius Paulinus Maximus

thank you i will try that link out

have to be doing something wrong. i go on to the smiths dictionary to enter the name i am looking for a page does come up just not with the name i am looking for.i put in the name where it has search this site google i have it on ancientlibrary.com not www sorry about bothering people on this.

thank you

have to be doing something wrong. i go on to the smiths dictionary to enter the name i am looking for a page does come up just not with the name i am looking for.i put in the name where it has search this site google i have it on ancientlibrary.com not www sorry about bothering people on this.

thank you

How are you entering the name(s)? For instance, "Marcus Agrippa" should be entered as "Agrippa." Then you'll have to go forward a few pages through the other Agrippae until you come to the entry for "Agrippa, M. Vipsanius."

Use the search box that says: letter/word. This is above the Google search box.

-- Nephele