UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Centurion-Macro

Roman Fiction?

I was wondering if you guys could give me some names of Roman fiction books. I have already read...

the entire Eagle Series,

the entire Eagle of the 9th series,

I am now looking for more Roman fiction, I will take any of it, but preferably a Legionary story or something.

Thanks.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some names of Roman fiction books. I have already read...

the entire Eagle Series,

I am now looking for more Roman fiction, I will take any of it, but preferably a Legionary story or something.

Thanks.

Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem is a classic.

As literature I think that Yourcenar Memoirs of Hadrian are the best.

the entire Eagle Series,

Thanks.

Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem is a classic.

Excellent suggestion Lanista.

This is probably my favourite novel of all time.

There's also a few good recent books like The Forgotten Legion Chronicles by Ben Kane and The Warrior of Rome series by Harry Sidebottom.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=...ywords=ben+kane

There's masses of great historical novels out there......Search and ye shall find!!!!

P.S. Check out Lanista's book as well, you won't be disappointed.

I don't do fiction very much, I am afraid. But a recent book I read that was decent was Black Ships by Jo Graham which retold the Aeneas foundation myth.

I don't do fiction very much, I am afraid. But a recent book I read that was decent was Black Ships by Jo Graham which retold the Aeneas foundation myth.

I've just started reading this today, I'm about 60 pages into it and I'm still sat on the fence as to whether I like it or not, but it's early days yet so I'll persevere.

Loved the Eagle in the Snow by Bream. The last several paragraphs so evocative (not sure if this is the word I want, but it will do).

The Last Legion by Manfredi is very good as well. I didnt watch the movie. I find movies never come near to the book.

Sutcliffe's book on the Nineth Legion may be a children's book, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I have put some on hold, but my library does not have the Eagle in the Snow so I will buy it somehow. I have never heard of the forgotten Legion chronicles...but I totally forgot about the Warrior of Rome series.

Except for the books already mentioned I like the following:

Roma Sub Rosa mystery series by Steven Saylor

as well as SPQR by John Maddox Roberts (also mystery)

First three volumes by Colleen McCullough about Marius and Caesar etc.

The Far Arena by Richard Ben Shapir

Gladiators of the Empire series by James Duffy

In German:

Fortunas Rache and Die Legionen des Raben by Maria W. Peter (mystery)

Leichtes Geld and Flammenmeer by Peter Lichtenberger (mystery)

Die Schule der Gladiatoren by Wolfram zu Mondfeld/Barbara zu Wertheim

the entire Eagle Series,

Thanks.

How many books, and their titles please, are in the Eagle of the Ninth series? I did a google search and got a little confused as to the sequence of the books. I think I would very much like to read these.

the entire Eagle Series,

Thanks.

How many books, and their titles please, are in the Eagle of the Ninth series? I did a google search and got a little confused as to the sequence of the books. I think I would very much like to read these.

There are 3 titles in the Eagle of the ninth series. The Eagle of the Ninth, the Silver Branch and the Lantern Bearers.

There are 3 titles in the Eagle of the ninth series. The Eagle of the Ninth, the Silver Branch and the Lantern Bearers.

Thank you!