UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DecimusCaesar

A First person Shooter set in Roman times?

I'm not sure if others have heard about this game, but I recently came across news of a game called Darkest of Days. It's a sci-fi time travel FPS where you play a time traveller who participates in some of the great moments of history. The game has you travelling to the Battle of Antietam during the US Civil War; fighting in the trenches of the First World War at Tannenberg; and attempting to save POWs during World War II. What really caught my eye though is that in one section you travel back to Pompeii as Mount Vesuvius erupts. Your job is to save certain citizens, but it also allows you to battle Roman legionaries with machine guns and what looks like a flame thrower. The graphics and the A.I might not be up to much, but the concept is certainly more interesting than your usual Modern/WWII fps.

Here's some pictures:

darkest-of-days-screenshot.jpg

darkest-of-days-20090527044829738.jpg

Scenes from the Pompeii section of the game.

gameplay13.jpg

A Scene from the battle of Antietam.

darkest-of-days-20090730025829721_640w.jpg

World War I - the Eastern Front.

darkest-of-days-20090527044839925[1].jpg

World War II - POW Camp.

but it also allows you to battle Roman legionaries with machine guns and what looks like a flame thrower.

That seems so unsporting. :lol:

-- Nephele

Indeed, using a rifle for WW1 and a machine gun against swords it's unfair.

Apparently you can use contemporary weapons for the age you play in. Whether this means we'll be able to engage Romans with the gladius and pilum I do not know. After having played the demo, which featured the US Civil War, I had to use muskets and six shooters for the majority of the game. Later on I was given a machine gun when the going got tough. Even then the game wasn't as easy, simply because of the large numbers of enemies on screen. Overall though the game isn't bad. It's made by an indpendent games developer and as a result it has some poor production values. Mostly it's let down by some graphical glitches here and there, poor voice acting, and some bad AI. I hope that some of these problems will be ironed out of the game soon. I still like the concept thoug.

Apparently you can use contemporary weapons for the age you play in. Whether this means we'll be able to engage Romans with the gladius and pilum I do not know. After having played the demo, which featured the US Civil War, I had to use muskets and six shooters for the majority of the game. Later on I was given a machine gun when the going got tough. Even then the game wasn't as easy, simply because of the large numbers of enemies on screen. Overall though the game isn't bad. It's made by an indpendent games developer and as a result it has some poor production values. Mostly it's let down by some graphical glitches here and there, poor voice acting, and some bad AI. I hope that some of these problems will be ironed out of the game soon. I still like the concept thoug.

I think it would be cool to be able to use a gladius in the game, but it would look a bit odd in first person I would think...

Edited by Centurion-Macro

By chance I recently found out that the game had been released to very little fanfare. Before parting with my cash I decided to go look for reviews, and I'm glad that I did. The game has been thoroughly trashed by critics with scores as low as 3/4 and even 1 out of 10. I didn't think the demo was that bad, but apparently the full game is awful. Personally I think the reviews are rather harsh - afterall, this a low budget independent first time title by an inexperienced studio using a newly created engine. I've seen big budget games made by professionals that have turned out worse than this game and yet they still recieved much kinder reviews. The complaints also sound somewhat childish - one professional critic called it one of the worst shooters of the last few years. One of the reasons? Because according to him 'period weapons' such as muskets and bolt action rifles 'suck' and the US Civil War and World War 1 were 'boring and shit'. I personally applaud anyone with the guts to produce fps that don't centre on WW2, modern warfare, or sci-fi 'space marines' type games. Sadly though most people want to be served up the same unimaginative settings and formulas over and over again. Then again I can't fault the critics when they complain about bugs and glitches, as this game is overflowing with them. So this won't be a purchase for me, despite the pretty interesting concept.

What? Pass up a chance to do mad stunts on a motorbike?

What? Pass up a chance to do mad stunts on a motorbike?

I thought that was (filmically) from a POW camp rather than from a concentration camp?

It would be good to play as a member of the Roman Army fighting with Roman weapons in a historical Roman battle.