UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Learning the Latin language

Artimi

I found this free course

http://courses.pullins.com/course/view.php?id=16

registered and started reading and getting ready..

Then it said, it is better to listen to the audio portion with book. What book??

any way I have ordered the book and 2 others, (they were somewhat inexpensive) but the soonest they will be here is probably Sept or mid Sept..

but as I said above, I will try once more to learn Latin.

• 4 weeks later...
I found this free course

http://courses.pullins.com/course/view.php?id=16

registered and started reading and getting ready..

Then it said, it is better to listen to the audio portion with book. What book??

any way I have ordered the book and 2 others, (they were somewhat inexpensive) but the soonest they will be here is probably Sept or mid Sept..

but as I said above, I will try once more to learn Latin.

Take care with the audio portion. I have discovered the hard way that (for example) Germans, Italians and English write the same Latin, but the pronunciation is vastly different. And no-one really knows how the Romans did it.

Good luck with the learning. It helps a lot if you understand the rules of grammar in any language, but especially your own. And with Latin, as with any foreign language, it helps if you spend a lot of time in that country, so spend time hanging out with Caesar and Suetonius and reading academic stuff on a topic you enjoy that is mainly English but which also has a number of words and quotes in Latin.

There is a site called Before You Know It. It is a less expensive Rosetta type thing

They had a sampler for Latin. It is a strictly vocabulary sampler. I am finding it is a good way to use some study time before the other books arrive.

My downfall with any language I have tried to learn, is vocabulary, grammar and spelling. Hey that covers everything, should tell me something...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems that there are no ASCII codes for the macron letters. You could always do the International Phonetic Alphabet version (as I do), which is to use a colon (: ) after the vowel; that's IPA for a long vowel.

Edited by docoflove1974

It seems that there are no ASCII codes for the macron letters. You could always do the International Phonetic Alphabet version (as I do), which is to use a colon (: ) after the vowel; that's IPA for a long vowel.

thank you, I have made a note this.