UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Artimi

Learning the Latin language

I found this free course

http://courses.pullins.com/course/view.php?id=16

registered and started reading and getting ready..

Then it said, it is better to listen to the audio portion with book. What book??

any way I have ordered the book and 2 others, (they were somewhat inexpensive) but the soonest they will be here is probably Sept or mid Sept..

but as I said above, I will try once more to learn Latin.

I found this free course

http://courses.pullins.com/course/view.php?id=16

registered and started reading and getting ready..

Then it said, it is better to listen to the audio portion with book. What book??

any way I have ordered the book and 2 others, (they were somewhat inexpensive) but the soonest they will be here is probably Sept or mid Sept..

but as I said above, I will try once more to learn Latin.

Take care with the audio portion. I have discovered the hard way that (for example) Germans, Italians and English write the same Latin, but the pronunciation is vastly different. And no-one really knows how the Romans did it.

Good luck with the learning. It helps a lot if you understand the rules of grammar in any language, but especially your own. And with Latin, as with any foreign language, it helps if you spend a lot of time in that country, so spend time hanging out with Caesar and Suetonius and reading academic stuff on a topic you enjoy that is mainly English but which also has a number of words and quotes in Latin.

There is a site called Before You Know It. It is a less expensive Rosetta type thing

They had a sampler for Latin. It is a strictly vocabulary sampler. I am finding it is a good way to use some study time before the other books arrive.

My downfall with any language I have tried to learn, is vocabulary, grammar and spelling. Hey that covers everything, should tell me something...

I have been trying to find out how to add the accent - to long vowels in Latin on the keyboard.

so far no joy.

Help.

It seems that there are no ASCII codes for the macron letters. You could always do the International Phonetic Alphabet version (as I do), which is to use a colon (: ) after the vowel; that's IPA for a long vowel.

Edited by docoflove1974

It seems that there are no ASCII codes for the macron letters. You could always do the International Phonetic Alphabet version (as I do), which is to use a colon (: ) after the vowel; that's IPA for a long vowel.

thank you, I have made a note this.