UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Left Handed Roman Legionaries?

A few hours ago I was talking with my uncle and he said that the Romans used to have separate cohorts for left handed soldiers. I was unsure if he was telling the truth so I did a google search, which turned up nothing. So I ask you, were there left handed Roman units and if so do you know anything about them?

A few hours ago I was talking with my uncle and he said that the Romans used to have separate cohorts for left handed soldiers. I was unsure if he was telling the truth so I did a google search, which turned up nothing. So I ask you, were there left handed Roman units and if so do you know anything about them?

A couple of months ago we had a lively discussion going regarding left-handedness in the Roman army, as well as lefthandedness among gladiators. I don't think anyone came up with anything regarding "separate cohorts for left handed soldiers," though.

You can read the older posts here:

Sinister Romans: Left-handedness in antiquity

It would be interesting to know whether such left-handed military units might have existed, although they don't seem probable.

-- Nephele

I've never heard of specific units of left- handed soldiers. I wouldn't think that the numbers of Lefty's would be great enough to warrant such an endeavor, and even if they did, I don't think it would be of much use.

OT to Nephele: LOVE your new banner! :rolleyes:

Since there doesn't seem to be any evidence for the existence of solely left-handed cohorts in the Roman military, I'm locking this topic and referring anyone, who wants to continue the discussion, to the original topic on Romans and left-handedness:

Sinister Romans: Left-handedness in antiquity

OT to Lost Warrior -- thanks! I've never really been a banner person before, but a friend went to the trouble of making this for me, so I figured I ought to use it.