UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Fungus turns ants into zombies

Wondering if this is just working on ants, or if any other species (or humans for that fact) injested it, if it would not have some effect on them as well? I read about this and this is one of those B) facts.

Wow. I can do the same thing with rich old people. I take control of their brain and in their last hours of life get them to set-up a meeting at their lawyer's office in order to change their will and make me sole heir and benefiacy of their fortune. Muhahahaha!!!

The brains of carpenter ants like Dolichoderus scabridus (the victim of this real insect life drama) have around 260,000-300,000 neurons; considering that the average human brain has like 1,000,000,000 neurons and that most if not all the activity of these ants would be considered automatic in comparison with human psychology, the term "Zombie" is probably not an objective description of the effect of this fungus; after all, the severed head of any ant will continue using its mandibles and antennae for hours.

When this ant-killer fungus (Ophio)cordyceps unilateralis is ready to spore, its mycelia enter the ant's brain and change how it perceives pheromones, causing the insect to climb to the top of a plant and use its mandibles to secure itself to the stem. The fungus then kills the ant, and the fruiting bodies of O. unilateralis grow from its head and explode, releasing the spores.

In a bizarre parasitic death sentence, a fungus turns carpenter ants into the walking dead and gets them to die in a spot that's perfect for the fungus to grow and reproduce.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200908...trolledbyfungus

Just like the female of the human species....