UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Marius Romilius

Roman Names - can anyone help figure mine out?

Salve -

My real given last name is Romilio. I know that one of the voting tribes of Rome was Romilia, and that Romilius appears in some roman names. Can anyone shed any light on the Romilia tribe and let me know if my real last name has to do with the voting tribe?

Just joined this site. It is wonderful. I became very interested in Rome after my wife turned me on to I, Claudius about 10 years ago (can you believe that?). I now eat up any and all literature, film, documentary or miniseries about Rome that is out there.

I hope to learn a lot more about Ancient Rome through this community. I look forward to interacting with you all!

Mario (Marius Romilius)

Hi Marius,

There are a couple of Romilius that crop up in Smiths Dictionary, notably T. Romilius Rocus Vaticanus who was consul in 455 B.C. and was a member of the first decemvirate.

I'm sure Nephele will be able to give you a bit more info on the history of your name, she's our resident expert on Nomina Et Gentes.

BTW welcome to UNRV. ;)

GPM, aw, thanks for the props. ;)

Welcome to UNRV, Marius! I

Nephele - Thanks for the warm welcome and for the excellent explanation. Very interesting stuff. I am looking forward to interacting with this community!

Thanks Again!

Marius

GPM, aw, thanks for the props. ;)

Welcome to UNRV, Marius! I

Gaius - Thanks so much for your reply. That link to Smiths is really helpful. I'm gonna check more of it out.

Look forward to exploring more of this site :D

Thanks again!

Marius

Hi Marius,

There are a couple of Romilius that crop up in Smiths Dictionary, notably T. Romilius Rocus Vaticanus who was consul in 455 B.C. and was a member of the first decemvirate.

I'm sure Nephele will be able to give you a bit more info on the history of your name, she's our resident expert on Nomina Et Gentes.

BTW welcome to UNRV. ;)