UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Translation request, please!

Okay, I know we've got some Latin experts on this board. Will one of you please help me out? I need a Latin translation for this motto:

"We Are Coming, and Hell Is Coming with Us."

My own Latin never went beyond third year high school, so I don't want to trust it to this task.

Thanks in advance!

Okay, I know we've got some Latin experts on this board. Will one of you please help me out? I need a Latin translation for this motto:

"We Are Coming, and Hell Is Coming with Us."

My own Latin never went beyond third year high school, so I don't want to trust it to this task.

Thanks in advance!

I am by no means a latin expert but I thought I could get the translation ball rolling. Here is what I came up with, might want to get someone elses opinion though.

venimus atque tartarus venit nobis

Venimus = We are coming

Atque= and

Tartarus = Hell. This is probably the hardest to translate because the romans had a complex belief system surrounding the underworld. "Dis" could also be used. It all depends on what you mean by Hell.

Venit = is coming

Nobis = with us

Cheers

I am by no means a latin expert but I thought I could get the translation ball rolling. Here is what I came up with, might want to get someone elses opinion though.

Venimus = We are coming

Atque= and

Tartarus = Hell. This is probably the hardest to translate because the romans had a complex belief system surrounding the underworld. "Dis" could also be used. It all depends on what you mean by Hell.

Venit = is coming

Nobis = with us

Cheers

Thanks, that looks pretty good to me! Anyone else able to confirm or add to Neoflash's translation?

Venimus = We are coming

Atque= and

Venit = is coming

Nobis = with us

Cheers

Thanks, that looks pretty good to me! Anyone else able to confirm or add to Neoflash's translation?

Oke - we don't need Tartarus, because Latin is used extensively by the Catholic church, who have several words for Hell itself. Also, we probably don't need to repeat the verb, so I'd try venimus atque infernum nobiscum.

Disclaimer - my Latin tutor once threatened to shoot me for wanton abuse of the ablative, so take my suggestion cum grano salis.

Oke - we don't need Tartarus, because Latin is used extensively by the Catholic church, who have several words for Hell itself. Also, we probably don't need to repeat the verb, so I'd try venimus atque infernum nobiscum.

Disclaimer - my Latin tutor once threatened to shoot me for wanton abuse of the ablative, so take my suggestion cum grano salis.

Many thanks!

Venimus = We are coming

Atque= and

Venit = is coming

Nobis = with us

Cheers

Well done, your translation sounds a bit more like genuine latin than mine, which was a bit too literal, atleast I think. Then again, my latin is not that great so what do I know. The only thing I would have to say about the use of the word infernum for Hell is that it would not have been used by, say, a roman of the late Republic. Actually, it probably would not have been used at any time by any roman who was not a christian. So Nephele, it all depends on who is speaking the words. If you are writing a story and a roman from ancient rome is speaking them, he probably would not have used infernum. But if the pope from 300 A.D. is the one speaking, than yes infernum can be used. In ancient roman religion "Dis" was used to describe the underworld as a whole, the place where the dead ended up. "Tartarus" was a place inside "Dis" similar to what most christian now visualize when then think of Hell, a place of punishment. I hope this helps.

So Nephele, it all depends on who is speaking the words. If you are writing a story and a roman from ancient rome is speaking them, he probably would not have used infernum. But if the pope from 300 A.D. is the one speaking, than yes infernum can be used.

Heheh, I feel a little goofy admitting this, but my motto translation request was for a vampire clan in an online role-playing game. So, I guess the "Infernum" is best suited to the purpose. *sheepish grin*

So Nephele, it all depends on who is speaking the words. If you are writing a story and a roman from ancient rome is speaking them, he probably would not have used infernum. But if the pope from 300 A.D. is the one speaking, than yes infernum can be used.

Heheh, I feel a little goofy admitting this, but my motto translation request was for a vampire clan in an online role-playing game. So, I guess the "Infernum" is best suited to the purpose. *sheepish grin*

Ah, in that case my translation would be 'Non soli senecti longi in dentibus sunt.'