UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Experts baffled by remains found at Roman site

JGolomb

Experts baffled by remains found at Roman site in Caistor

From the article:

Archaeologists who have been uncovering secrets of the ancient past at the Roman town of Venta Icenorum, at present-day Caistor St Edmund, just outside Norwich, over the past two weeks have unearthed skeletal remains of a fourth century body.

The skeleton, thought to be of a man, was discovered in a 3ft deep pit in an

Here's another story (pretty much the same as the first), but now with a photo of the gravesite. Kind of looks like a position due to rolling someone into a grave...if they're laying on their back and you just kind of roll them over they might not roll all the way over...and look how the legs are crossed.

nichollsm20090914203013.jpg

Experts baffled by remains found at Roman site in Caistor

From the article:

Archaeologists who have been uncovering secrets of the ancient past at the Roman town of Venta Icenorum, at present-day Caistor St Edmund, just outside Norwich, over the past two weeks have unearthed skeletal remains of a fourth century body.

The skeleton, thought to be of a man, was discovered in a 3ft deep pit in an

I found this article as well about the burial and the site on ScienceDaily.com

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090915140924.htm

I also noticed, IMO, that it looks as if His hands may have been tied behind His back as well, next to the more than abnormal possitioning that it is laying in. If it was a "criminal matter" it may explain a lot not only to why He was buried in the style that He was, but that He may also have been tortured? (wondering due to how it looks that the ankle has been snapped, twisted, broken etc).

I found this article as well about the burial and the site on ScienceDaily.com

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090915140924.htm

I also noticed, IMO, that it looks as if His hands may have been tied behind His back as well, next to the more than abnormal possitioning that it is laying in. If it was a "criminal matter" it may explain a lot not only to why He was buried in the style that He was, but that He may also have been tortured? (wondering due to how it looks that the ankle has been snapped, twisted, broken etc).

R - Good catch on the hands. That right arm looks caught behind the back a bit (and the hands must still be clumped in with dirt, etc.). But take a look near the rib cage in the dirt. Could be arm bones there.

Melvadius seems to have some insight into this sort of thing. Hopefully he'll take a peek and enlighten us.

J

It looks to me like he was a criminal. He has his ankle broken and his hand does not look right. And why is the rib cage ripped to pieces?

He certainly looks like he was 'pushed around' a bit before being rolled into the grave.

In the first article it says it was in the aftermath of the AD 60/61 rebellions, so maybe this was a rebel who was tortured by the Romans or fellow Britons?

It is certainly an interesting story...

It looks to me like he was a criminal. He has his ankle broken and his hand does not look right. And why is the rib cage ripped to pieces?

He certainly looks like he was 'pushed around' a bit before being rolled into the grave.

In the first article it says it was in the aftermath of the AD 60/61 rebellions, so maybe this was a rebel who was tortured by the Romans or fellow Britons?

It is certainly an interesting story...

Or was done in by criminals....a la the Mob.