UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maty

ACORIS

This is from a milestone from Vindolanda. The MPXX is no problem as this is the milestone bit. But the line above has me stumped. It's either ACORIS, which is a city in Egypt, and some way from northern Britain and not very relevant, or A 1000 RIS (because a c|[backward c] was the old Roman for M as in a thousand) Either way I can't make much sense of it, and thought I'd throw the issue those here for their thoughts.

post-3709-1254600743_thumb.jpg

I can't download the file by some reason.

I tried to D/L this as well and can not get it to work. I keep getting a "message error" that the board will not allow me to d/l this?!

This is from a milestone from Vindolanda. The MPXX is no problem as this is the milestone bit. But the line above has me stumped. It's either ACORIS, which is a city in Egypt, and some way from northern Britain and not very relevant, or A 1000 RIS (because a c|[backward c] was the old Roman for M as in a thousand) Either way I can't make much sense of it, and thought I'd throw the issue those here for their thoughts.

Image1.jpg

Not that easy to add pics ...!

Image1.jpg

Not that easy to add pics ...!

Without the remaining text, any interpretation is highly speculative, especially from a rookie like me.

My guess for the upper line is that "CORIS" would probably be the abbreviation for CO(HO)R(T)IS.

The letter "A" would then be the last character of the preceding (presumably abbreviated) unidentified word.

I am fairly certain that I remember being told during a talk several years back by Robin Birley that the milestone with the inscription is actually a modern interpretation/ reconstruction of what the 'painted' inscription on the Vindolanda milestone may have looked like if it had been inscribed instead of simply painted on.

With a quick search I couldn't find anything to directly support this 'memory' but I did find a site with a better photograph where it is obvious that the 'milestone' has been made to look like a column and is comprised of at least in two pieces.

The full text reads:

IMP(eratori) CAES(ari)

TR(aiano) HADRIANO

AVG(usto) P(ontifici) M(aximo) TR(ibuniciae) P(otestatis) V

CO(n)S(uli) III P(atri) P(atriae)

A CORIS

M(illia) P(assuum) XX

In this context I believe that Coris (Coria) is intended as the Roman abbreviation for Corbridge (Corstopitum), which was the nearby major supply base for the Wall and mentioned several times in the Vindolanda Writing Tablets, as it is approximately 20 miles from Vindolanda along the Stanegate (military road).

Edited by Melvadius

I am fairly certain that I remember being told during a talk several years back by Robin Birley that the milestone with the inscription is actually a modern interpretation/ reconstruction of what the 'painted' inscription on the Vindolanda milestone may have looked like if it had been inscribed instead of simply painted on.

With a quick search I couldn't find anything to directly support this 'memory' but I did find a site with a better photograph where it is obvious that the 'milestone' has been made to look like a column and is comprised of at least in two pieces.

The full text reads:

IMP(eratori) CAES(ari)

TR(aiano) HADRIANO

AVG(usto) P(ontifici) M(aximo) TR(ibuniciae) P(otestatis) V

CO(n)S(uli) III P(atri) P(atriae)

A CORIS

M(illia) P(assuum) XX

In this context I believe that Coris (Coria) is intended as the Roman abbreviation for Corbridge (Corstopitum), which was the nearby major supply base for the Wall and mentioned several times in the Vindolanda Writing Tablets, as it is approximately 20 miles from Vindolanda along the Stanegate (military road).

Sub idem fere tempus et ab Attalo rege et Rhodiis legati uenerunt nuntiantes Asiae quoque ciuitates sollicitari. his legationibus responsum est curae eam rem senatui fore; consultatio de Macedonico bello integra ad consules, qui tunc in prouinciis erant, reiecta est. interim ad Ptolomaeum Aegypti regem legati tres missi, C. Claudius Nero M. Aemilius Lepidus P. Sempronius Tuditanus, ut nuntiarent uictum Hannibalem Poenosque et gratias agerent regi quod in rebus dubiis, cum finitimi etiam socii Romanos desererent, in fide mansisset, et peterent ut, si coacti iniuriis bellum aduersus Philippum suscepissent, pristinum animum erga populum Romanum conseruaret.

Eodem fere tempore P. Aelius consul in Gallia, cum audisset a Boiis ante suum aduentum incursiones in agros sociorum factas, duabus legionibus subitariis tumultus eius causa scriptis additisque ad eas quattuor cohortibus de exercitu suo, C. Ampium praefectum socium hac tumultuaria manu per Umbriam qua tribum Sapiniam uocant agrum Boiorum inuadere iussit; ipse eodem aperto itinere per montes duxit. Ampius ingressus hostium fines primo populationes satis prospere ac tuto fecit. delecto deinde ad castrum Mutilum satis idoneo loco ad demetenda frumenta

Edited by sylla

I did not find the image and text on an official site it was at the attached link which as you can see if you scroll down through the images there is a personal site with someone's interpretation of the inscribed tex rather than with an 'official' RIB attribution:

http://web.mit.edu/~jsylee/www/photo/inscriptions/index.html

As I indicated before I am extremely doubtful of the 'authenticity' of this 'milestone' and I strongly believe it to have been erected by the Vindolanda Trust as part of 'enhancing' the public experience of visiting the site.

[Edit - Addendum although I haven't got into the site so far to check (security limitations from my current pc) I have just found a reference to an item on Flickr which seems to confirm my suspicions with someone who works at Vindolanda indicating that it is a reproduction:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gauiscaecilius/100174749/ ]

Edited by Melvadius

I did not find the image and text on an official site it was at the attached link which as you can see if you scroll down through the images there is a personal site with someone's interpretation of the inscribed tex rather than with an 'official' RIB attribution:

http://web.mit.edu/~jsylee/www/photo/inscriptions/index.html

As I indicated before I am extremely doubtful of the 'authenticity' of this 'milestone' and I strongly believe it to have been erected by the Vindolanda Trust as part of 'enhancing' the public experience of visiting the site.

Thanks for all.

I can't find any reason to disagree with your assessment.