UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

As big as it is, Kent seems like a good venue: Lullingstone, Richborough, the 'Painted House' etc. Just a thought.

As big as it is, Kent seems like a good venue: Lullingstone, Richborough, the 'Painted House' etc. Just a thought.

Good point. Also Canterbury, reculver, Lympne...

The heartland of Roman occupation? If our experience of the Newcastle trip is anything to go by, a visit to an 'area' as opposed to a 'location' will need careful thought regarding logistics. As we discovered, it's very easy to overstretch your itinerary (and miss your bus).

The heartland of Roman occupation? If our experience of the Newcastle trip is anything to go by, a visit to an 'area' as opposed to a 'location' will need careful thought regarding logistics. As we discovered, it's very easy to overstretch your itinerary (and miss your bus).

I dont mind ferrying 2 other members in my van - that should cut down the travel problems a bit.

I keep reading the thread, wishing I could come, but alas, not financially possible.

Any of the places suggested would wonderful to me.

And what bus would that be Caldrail? Er..... oh yeah... that one!!!! Great fun though... and I remember you lapping up the view from a Sweeney style chasing cab!!

Excellent site suggestions... keep 'em coming...

It would be nice if Pertinax and Andrew Dalby could come. That said, I have had some contact with Pertinax, and he did mention his return to UNRV, as well as the possibility of him gracing us with his presence during our next meet. Apparently we must look to his coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, we should look to the East...

Seriously, though, if a trip takes place in the South, I may well be able to persuade a few of my friends - who are studying the Classical World - to come along with their cars.

That sounds good WW. It means if they are willing to transport folk from site to site if need be then that removes a lot of hassle. Good idea about getting Andrew and even his good lady wife along if we can and, of course, Pertinax who has been busy elsewhere.

If we did the south though would you be able to come up with an itinerary and times allocated for 'talks'?

What is the feeling about Lincoln everyone? Whichever venue it is the later in the year is better for us - around July or September. That does not mean the dates are fixed... it is for you all to agree where maximum attendance can occur.

Keep the ideas coming....

As I said also in my blog I will visit London twice next year and if it will be possible I would love to come to this meeting. So I will look at this thread to see what you decide.

Did you guys think about Chester? I have been there nearly three years ago. Many Roman things to see, e.g. the amphitheater, etc.

Did you guys think about Chester? I have been there nearly three years ago. Many Roman things to see, e.g. the amphitheater, etc.

Good call, Medusa!

After a while 'off' I have come back to read through the replies etc to this topic.

Some good site suggestions have arisen. The last one at Chester is a very good one - my wife and I were about to go there a couple of years back but had to cancel for family reasons. There is plenty to see and do apparently.

Other sites, of course, are well worth looking at but travel is important as stated before. Logistics, if sorted out, can mean a very healthily orgnised meet so keep the suggestions coming. Financially some might struggle (as we are unfortunately) but suggestions may even be carried to 2011 so keep 'em coming.

NN - I'll be sending a PM so keep your eyes peeled.

This is just a placeholder to say that I've started a new thread for UK Meet 2011.